SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile HELP!!! Where to get great royalty free photos

Hey I have a big problem that I think many independent designers face: I want to build up a good collection of royalty free images (and disks) to use on my design projects but find itís ridiculously expensive. Any suggestions?

A friend of mine in a graphic design firm and I have banded together and purchased several disks, but its hard to throw down the several thousand dollars needed to have a collection even somewhat comparable to what a bigger design firm has access to.

I'm particularly interested in acquiring studio images of people (images where it is just a shot of the person in a pose on a white background) as they don't have to be cropped or edited and can be placed into pretty much any setting.

Is anyone else facing these same problems, and if so what solutions do you use?

Thanks for your input.

I am obstructing justice. bronze trophy fatnewt's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://www.istockphoto.com/ has very cheap images. it's community-based though, so some of them aren't great, but some of them are. You pay for download credits...

http://www.istockpro.com/ is the more professional equivalent, but images there can get pricy, as you pointed out.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy Jeremy W.'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yup, I use istockphoto for just about everything now

J
    SVP Marketing, SoCast SRM
    Personal blog: Strategerize
    Twitter: @jeremywright

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use to visit istockphoto but I have found that Corbis is a much better place if you don't need very high res. They have a much larger database of images and tend to have much better photographers (Corbis has photographers for Time magazine, CNN, etc.)

http://pro.corbis.com register to see them.
    - John
    IT Security & Networks, .NET & PHP Developer
    Business Horizons | MD Review | RNRexpo
    Personal sites: Ferrari Wallpaper | Car Wallpaper

Formerly known as RockNRollPig Shpigford's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    do a search on this site for "royalty free photos"...you'll tons of results as this topic as been covered hundreds of times

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by founded
    Hey I have a big problem that I think many independent designers face: I want to build up a good collection of royalty free images (and disks) to use on my design projects but find itís ridiculously expensive. Any suggestions?

A friend of mine in a graphic design firm and I have banded together and purchased several disks, but its hard to throw down the several thousand dollars needed to have a collection even somewhat comparable to what a bigger design firm has access to.

I'm particularly interested in acquiring studio images of people (images where it is just a shot of the person in a pose on a white background) as they don't have to be cropped or edited and can be placed into pretty much any setting.

Is anyone else facing these same problems, and if so what solutions do you use?

Thanks for your input.
    I take my own pics! My problem is finding the right models. But I think a place like corbis would be a good answer. You don't have to own the whole collection, just buy what you need. If you need someone to knock out backgrounds for you, you could outsource. I'm available.

Wanna-be Apple nut silver trophy M. Johansson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://www.gettyimages.com/creative
    has never failed (beware that they have both RF and rights-protected ones)
    Mattias Johansson
    Short, Swedish, Web Developer

Buttons and Dog Tags with your custom design:
    FatStatement.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you tried Hemera Photo Objects? I don't do much with graphics anymore, but I was pleased with the content for the price -- currently $70USD for 50,000 images. It's Windows/Mac only, so I have to re-boot to use it now, but still, it was one of the better purchases I've made. Saved a lot of time.
    <abbey />
    HTML/XHTML/CSS coding
    Abbey Ink