SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Incase it hasn't been said here enough - by all means man....go get Dreamweaver! DW does a nice job of producing clean code, so more than taking an HTML course I'd say look for some good overall design or copywriting courses (or books and websites) to learn from.

Cheers,

Steve
    Web Designer or Small Business Owner?
    Need More Leads and More Clients?
    Get Free Marketing Tips, Tricks and Ideas Here!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    what the hack??! you all have macromedia stocks or what?? I just love FP, Microsoft is the best thing ever happening to me.

....NOT!! hahaha

Formerly known as RockNRollPig Shpigford's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by langedav
    what the hack??! you all have macromedia stocks or what?? I just love FP, Microsoft is the best thing ever happening to me.

....NOT!! hahaha
    haha....i like that joke...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lyrical
    So some of you just use notepad eh?
    ty
    http://www.textpad.com

I like TextPad better than notepad, multiple files, compare files, code highlighting etc. etc. etc., easy to understand and isn't made my microsoft

It is another good tool in my design arsenal.
    Boredom is illegal, enjoy life while you can, Laugh a little
    |Jokes|e-creations®|
    clixGalore made me sad, see why.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No web development management and creation software ever grows up and says "I want to be in the Frontpage family."

That's like saying "When I grow up, I want to be a drug addict."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[img]images/smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dreamweaver...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bbolte
    homesite is included with dreamweaver...
    Not anymore. Since Dreamweaver MX came out, they integrated all of Homesite's features into it. If you're talking about DW4 (UltraDev 4 was the last Dreamweaver CD I've seen; we got a free download of MX from Macromedia since we bought version 4 right before MX came out), then yes, you get a copy of Homesite with it as well (I use it from time to time at work).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dreamweaver all the way! I dont care much for frontpage.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dreamweaver is nice... have played with it a few times. I haven't used FrontPage much but have heard it's crap with the senseless code it inserts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have used Front Page, Visual InterDev, Homesite, and Dreamweaver 4, 5, and MX. Prior to Dreamweaver MX I would have recomended Homesite over all of them, but Macromedia hit a homerun with the latest version of Dreamweaver. With it you can build the most basic sites or large enterprise level applications in a variety of programming technologies; including database driven sites. Good luck.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    as a front page user for 5 years I switched to ultradev which is dreamweaver on steroids. it is the future in development especially if you are making a living in the business like I am. I have used DW for the last 3 years and would not switch back. Way back in the day I used Claris home page in 1994 and moved to fronpage in 95 then to FP then to DW in 99 then to ultradev in 2000

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy TheOriginalH's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FlashMaster
    as a front page user for 5 years I switched to ultradev which is dreamweaver on steroids. it is the future in development especially if you are making a living in the business like I am. I have used DW for the last 3 years and would not switch back. Way back in the day I used Claris home page in 1994 and moved to fronpage in 95 then to FP then to DW in 99 then to ultradev in 2000
    Once upon a time there was Drumbeat (what an awful name). This was suceeded by Ultra-Dev (which essentially integrated the DW4 features much better). Now there is MX. Macromedia no longer produce Homesite, "Standard" Dreamweaver, or Dreamweaver Ultra-Dev. The functionality of all three (and oh so much more) is now incorporated in one product - Dreamweaver MX.

I had another play with the most recent version of FrontPage recently to see how it scored. It is vastly improved over older versions but anyone who thinks it even comes close to competing with DWmx is clearly on the wrong medication....
    ~The Artist Latterly Known as Crazy Hamster~
    922ee590a26bd62eb9b33cf2877a00df
    Currently delving into Django, GIT & CentOS

"Of" != "Have" bronze trophy Jeff Lange's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Homesite+ is included on the Dreamweaver MX CD-ROM, and is an excellent Text-Only editor.

Personally, I just use Dreamweaver MX in code view. I never really got around to using Homesite+... Maybe I'll install it one of these days.
    Who walks the stairs without a care
    It shoots so high in the sky.
    Bounce up and down just like a clown.
    Everyone knows its Slinky.

Visible Ninja bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Angry

I have not worked much with dreamweaver, but I have had terrible experiences with Front Page. Countless times I have been at the mercy of that damn paperclip for hours. Today I do everything in notepad.
    TAKE A WALK OUTSIDE YOUR MIND.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don’t use them much but I did need dreamweaver recently for an Image map where I needed the code so I could ad in some JavaScript but when I tried with FP it only gave me this WebBot crap!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOriginalH
    Macromedia no longer produce Homesite
    So what's this then....?

http://www.macromedia.com/software/homesite/

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Macromedia has OWNERSHIP of the Homesite program, though like The OriginalH said, they are not PRODUCING it any further. Like it says in the product description, it's included with DMX.

DMX is the all inclusive web development suite that they will be continuing to develop.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dreamweaver MX--->The Best

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dreamweaver MX

I own both FP and DW. Frontpage came as part of OfficeXP so I started to use it. It's Ok when you're starting out and if you want basic .htm file management, but within a few minutes I was back to my demo version of DW; bought it a few days later!

DW is a superb application and beats FP hands down in at least these areas:-

Template management - update one template file and it updates all the files based on that template. This is one major feature DW has that FP cannot do.
    Site management - DW can handle .php extensions and can cloak files so they are not managed by DW, but still accessible to DW. No way FP can manage this. It cannot handle .php extensions at all for site management tools.
    PHP & MySQL management - I personally use TextPad for coding, but DW can do it.
    CSS - easier to manage in DW in my view.

Probably loads more features, but I've only begun to scratch the surface of Dreamweaver's power
    Censura - Add reviews and ratings to your site

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd have to chime in my vote for Dreamweaver as well, although I do keep FrontPage installed for a few reasons:

• Encoding - Since I develop websites in languages other than English, I often have to work with Unicode fonts. Up until DMX, I used FrontPage because it quickly and easily accepts cut/paste Unicode. Even now, I find it easier to work with Unicode content in FrontPage after laying out my site first in DMX.
    • Load Times and System Memory - Sometimes I want to do a quick edit OR open up multiple pages (10+) to edit at the same time (mostly old websites that don't have much programming involved and requite manual updates). I find that FrontPage not only loads up my pages quickly, but it is also substantially lighter on system resources.
    • DMX Quirks - Sometimes when I'm fooling around with complex tables in WYSIWYG mode in Dreamweaver, I run across layout problems that I'm too lazy to resolve by digging through the code (yes, I'm that lazy!), or sometimes that I just can't figure out at all. And surprisingly, oftentimes I will open that page in FrontPage and am quickly able to manipulate tables that I otherwise couldn't do in Dreamweaver.
    • Previewing - I've mentioned my frustration at being unable to accurately predict which browser window Dreamweaver will hijack when I press F12 to preview here -Click for thread-. Previewing in FrontPage is quick and relatively painless.

For initial design, layout, and everything else important, I would definitely go with Dreamweaver, and recommend that you get acquainted with it first. Good luck!
    Asianca.com - Please join our online Asian community
    TorontoGunViolence.com - Speak up against the violence!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You guys are the best. not just in answering dreamweaver vs frontpage, but the whys as well, which is a great help.
    Thanks!
    A pat on the back is only a few centimeters
    from a kick in the butt

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No one mentioned FP Extionsions

I use DW and love it. I have clients that use FP, what me to make changes on their site, and then want to continue updating themselves in their FP.

When messing around in FP sites, everything is cordoned off into these ridiculous _vti_bin, _borders, etc folders that are proprietary to FP. It's really a pain to try to manipulate the site in DW or notepad and still make sure the client can view and edit everything using FP's publish and other features.

Anyone else run into this?

I've been trying to get clients like this to let me convert files to plain text and explain to them thtat they can still edit the pages in FP, just not use those dad blamed extensions.

Paula
    -
    HostingCT.com
    http://hostingct.com
    Web design, hosting, marketing and more

Yugo full of anvils bronze trophy hillsy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    About the only thing I still use Frontpage for is editing very, very basic documents (it loads much faster than DW). It also converts from MS Word to HTML which I use quite a lot when people send me documents saying "Here's the content for our page, can you put it up"

But for anything serious, it's DW all the way.
    that's me!
    Now A Pom. And a Plone Nut
    Broccoli Martinez Airpark

SitePoint Enthusiast Cinders117's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I held off using Dreamweaver for a long time. Why? Cuz there's so much stuff in it. Not that it's too complex, for me, but it's just too much. But my Claris Homepage(which doesn't run on OS X anyways) didn't like my new intrest in PHP so I gave in and am using Dreamweaver. I've use Frontpage for all of 3 minutes...but have hard mostly negative opinions of it. I've used GoLive also(which may have added to the being against using DW) and can now easily say I liked Dreamweaver best! It's a good program and seems easy to learn. Other than a text editor I haven't used any other current programs. So yeah, definately go with DW.