SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Dreamweaver or FrontPage?

Now that I'm totally intimidated after looking over the site here (php?? java?? I'm still trying to figure out html hehe) I have a choice of taking either a FrontPage or a Dreamweaver class next semester. Any opinions on which one would be the best option?

Go easy, I'm new at it (as if that wasn't obvious enough)

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy TheOriginalH's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ferrari or Ford?

...that means DW
    ~The Artist Latterly Known as Crazy Hamster~
    922ee590a26bd62eb9b33cf2877a00df
    Currently delving into Django, GIT & CentOS

Drupaler bronze trophy greg.harvey's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    DREAMWEAVER!!!!!!!!!!

(Actually, to be honest, before any of that a basic HTML and JavaScript course is much better. Dreamweaver will make much more sense if you know what's going on behind the scenes a little beforehand.)

Frontpage is just horrid. I have now used it a few times and I'm getting the hang of it, and there are people on these forums who like it and say there's nothing wrong with it, but I just think it's really clunky.

G

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok....that's two for DW. I did use FrontPage for my first website, but since I don't really know enough about it yet....I'm not qualified to say what's good. Maybe I should learn more about html first though. Thanks!

Ferrari or Ford?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    This has been covered repeatedly (actually, even a few times this week). If you want a good comparison feature-for-feature, you can search for "Dreamweaver Frontpage" in the forums. You'll get more results that way (and probably more than you want to read!).

Anyway, my personal preference is for Dreamweaver. Frontpage is good if you do basic stuff, or if you're new to Web development, but once you start going more "behind the scenes" and doing more advanced work, then you may want to consider Dreamweaver, or a trusty text editor like HTML-Kit or Editplus.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ditto to everything said - dreamweaver hands down...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dreamweaver gets my vote if you want to go wysiwyg.

I tried using Frontpage a few times and couldn't stand it. As greg said, I find it clunky.

Notepad is good as anything for editing and writing straight HTML if you want something free.

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Frontpage will force you to focus more on content and less on glitz and glamour. Its easier to use in my opinion as well. Why not start with this and see if you can figure out dreamweaver if you want to use that too?
    OnlineSoldier.com

The webmaster's guide to the war which is the web. Analyze monetization, visitor retention, and promotion.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by firstmark
    Frontpage will force you to focus more on content and less on glitz and glamour. Its easier to use in my opinion as well. Why not start with this and see if you can figure out dreamweaver if you want to use that too?
    Crazy.... Please explain. Dreamweaver doesn't have any "glitz and glamour" buttons. Sounds like somneone has never used Dreamweaver.
    Golf Outings? OutingCaddy.com
    Organize - Invite - Create Free website for your golf outing!

I am obstructing justice. bronze trophy fatnewt's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, I think Dreamweaver has an equal content-focus.

I'd definitely suggest Dreamweaver over frontpage... although I must agree with this:

Quote Originally Posted by greg.harvey
    (Actually, to be honest, before any of that a basic HTML and JavaScript course is much better. Dreamweaver will make much more sense if you know what's going on behind the scenes a little beforehand.)
    Getting some programming skills behind you before you put too much faith in any WYSIWYG editor will definitely help you in the long run if you plan to go any further than hobby sites with this.

good luck, and have fun!

(BTW, this marks 100th post)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dreamweaver is better (or should I say easier). I'm currently enrolled in a Dreamweaver class, and the prerequisite was HTML 1, so you may want to take an intro to HTML class as the others suggested. It'll answer a lot of questions and prep you for Dreamweaver.

Good luck.
    ~Dorian

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Easier to use... I guess if by that you mean: "It rewrites all of your clear, concise, and cross-browser compatible code into meaningless garbage that isn't even guaranteed to work across different IE versions, much less different browsers" then yes, you're right on.

Dude, just Dreamweaver. Whatever you save on FP will be wasted on Excedrin anyway if you're going to be managing a site of more than 2 pages with it. FP isn't good for anything except secretaries with Office MCSEs.

Formerly known as RockNRollPig Shpigford's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    dreamweaver...but i agree that you really should learn some HTML if you don't know a good bit already....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lyrical
    Now that I'm totally intimidated after looking over the site here (php?? java?? I'm still trying to figure out html hehe) I have a choice of taking either a FrontPage or a Dreamweaver class next semester. Any opinions on which one would be the best option?

Go easy, I'm new at it (as if that wasn't obvious enough)
    Dreamweaver.

FrontPage is just about the most useless thing that MS puts out. I have a client that uses FP and she has for years, but every Monday I get the call to fix something that FP has broken when she updated one of the sites over the weekend. I pleaded with her to try out DW a while back, she tried it and couldn't figure it out for the simple fact that she is now a product of FP. A sad sad thing to be. Your best bet is DW, sure it is intimidating when you first install it and the first time you fire it up all these windows and boxes pop up, but a day or two and you'll be glad that you have a real quality piece of software and not something that spits out a garbled ball of horrid html.
    Boredom is illegal, enjoy life while you can, Laugh a little
    |Jokes|e-creations®|
    clixGalore made me sad, see why.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exclamation

I must jump in here.. I used to use FP when I was a kid .. to make my little hobby and banners-galore websites. However now I'm into some real ecommerce and I've switched to Dreamweaver (for about past 3 years I think). As most of you, I've had a lot of experience with FP and DW, so I think my opinion counts for something , or at least it should.

In short..Dreamweaver for sure.

P.S. My little brother still uses FP.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dreamweaver, far and above.

Besides, sooner or later, everyone sells out to Microsoft, and if Macromedia ever does (who knows, new management could take over and then be all for it), Microsoft will SURELY drop Frontpage, it's support, and concentrate fully on ...... *shudders* Microsoft Dreamweaver XP..... OH GOD NO! NOT MY DREAMWEAVER!! PLEASE DONT LET THAT VIRUS OF A COMPANY, MICROSOFT, TOUCH MY DREAMWEAVER!!! WAAAAHHHH!!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Microsoft Dreamweaver XP
    You have a sick sense of humor.

Boredom is illegal, enjoy life while you can, Laugh a little
    |Jokes|e-creations®|
    clixGalore made me sad, see why.

Drupaler bronze trophy greg.harvey's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LaughBlaster makes an interesting point there actually. Dreamweaver is very VERY good if you have multiple people editing a site these days. The system for checking files in and out actually makes it a powerful CMS too if you go that far. I use it for a website for Jaguar cars and it's fantastic. Multiple people can edit the site on the QA server via FTP and if someone has a file out, it stores that info on the web server and if someone else tries to take that file out before the first person checks it in again, it won't let you.

G

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll add another vote for Dreamweaver.

A big deterrent from FP is the way the final sites look. I can almost always tell if a site was made in FP just by looking at the site. They all have the same corny rollover buttons, and the same basic layout. (You can check by viewing the source and looking at the top. There's usually a meta tag or something that says Frontpage in it)

Dreamweaver gives you more control over how you want your site to look, and there's no way to tell if it was made with DW or some other product, because they can all look so different.

Mickey
    MickMel.com - My portfolio, etc.
    @mickmel - Twitter
    Google Earth Hacks - Fun stuff for Google Earth.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Excellent.....thanks for all the input. I did a search like you recommended, vgarcia, and you're right, lots of info there. I think I will take Dreamweaver over FP....good advice to play with html first though.

Thanks everyone!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally, i dont have much experiance using dreamweaver, or frontpage for that matter, im the notepad kind of guy... i have though used them both a little, and i prefer dreamweaver over front page

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had to laugh when one of the magazines that my company publishes ran an article on 'Designing your own website' and came down on Frontpage as the 'choice of professionals'. Seems that the author forgot to ask his own in-house professionals what they use.

Homesite in case you're wondering.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    personally, i've worked only once or twice with dreamweaver, and don't know much about it... but yes, i've got frontpage....i could recommend u something... don't go with Frontpage cause it'll be bad for u if u are starting new... its a horrid editor anyways... !
    Peace.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you all might be saying go for Dreamweaver over Frontpage?

Homesite? That's a new one, (to me anyway)Will have to check that one out as well.

So some of you just use notepad eh? Ok, I may be exposing just how new I am at this, hehe but you mean ya do up your whole web site with HTML or something on notepad? Er, good advice...I may need to take a class in html first.

ty

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    homesite is included with dreamweaver...