Index.html vs. home.html

Hi all,

I recently rolled out a new site that replaced an old out dated one. The file I used to hold all the code for my home page is named index.html. How ever, if you do a yahoo search for the page, it fails because it is looking for a URL ending in home.html.

I have submitted a new site map to all the search engines and thought that might clear the problem up. but I was wrong, except for Google it seams to have no problem finding the correct URL.

is there a quick fix for this or do I have to re-write my code to use home.html?

Thanks
Bill

Use a 301 redirect–either using the tools provided in your host’s control panel or using an htaccess file in the root of the web folder.

Redirect 301 /oldpage.html http://www.yoursite.com/newpage.html

let me guess. The name of the redirect file would be home.html in my case.

Your old page’s name goes where “oldpage” is indicated, and your new page’s name goes where “newpage” is indicated.

I found the .htaccess file on the server, and it became clear to me then what you meant. I have it working fine now.

Thank you very much.
Bill

I have done in on my server too but I have done it for almost all the pages because after redesigning new website i did not wanted old pages to go to 404 error so i have redirected all the old pages to new pages

is too much redirection bad for search engines?

Nope, it’s fine.