SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Results 1 to 21 of 21
  1. #1
    I am obstructing justice. bronze trophy fatnewt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Ottawa, Canada
    Posts
    1,766
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    blurry screenshots

    I'm attempting to reduce the size of a screenshot.

    The screenshot is of an HTML-based product, and was taken from a web browser. All my attempts to resize the image cause the text from the product to become blurry. (I've tried in Photoshop AND Fireworks MX). This needs to be imported into Microsoft Word and printed... and all attempts so far have been deemed unacceptable.

    Is there any way to reduce the size of the image (or take another screenshot and reduce that) so that the text isn't distorted?

    Thanks.

  2. #2
    SitePoint Wizard Crowe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Huntsville
    Posts
    1,117
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not really. Text is the first thing to go when an image is reduced. If you don't need the whole screen shot, crop it to just the parts you need to show.

    You could reduce the shot, and draw high lights to call out boxes which tell the user what the text says.
    Chrispian H. Burks
    Nothing To Say

  3. #3
    I am obstructing justice. bronze trophy fatnewt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Ottawa, Canada
    Posts
    1,766
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No dice. I definitely need the entire shot for this to work. Oh well, thanks.

  4. #4
    gingham dress, army boots... silver trophy redux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Salford / Manchester / UK
    Posts
    4,838
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well, take the screenshot into photoshop, go to image size, and increase the resolution, making sure that "resample image" is not checked. this way, the actual number of pixels remains the same, but the print size is reduced. not sure how Word deals with resolution though...
    re·dux (adj.): brought back; returned. used postpositively
    [latin : re-, re- + dux, leader; see duke.]
    WaSP Accessibility Task Force Member
    splintered.co.uk | photographia.co.uk | redux.deviantart.com

  5. #5
    SitePoint Addict theGuest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Posts
    372
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi guys...

    Make sure too that you save your screenshot as a BMP or PNG, not a Jpg/Gif. Unless of course you're simply pasting them from the clipboard while Photoshop is open.
    Just what exactly are the starting and ending sizes you need?

    Have you tried sizing incrementally? It won't work for every type of situation, but it's worth a try.

    Try scaling down 2-3 times (to 75%), and after each time, apply a small amount of Unsharp Mask (set the Radius to 0.5, and Amount to whatever looks good). If you convert your image to CMYK mode first, you'll get better results sharpening the Black Channel -- but you may have to tweak some of your colours back in. You can convert back to RGB when you're done.

    Depending on your image's detail, you could also just stay in RGB and scale a couple times while applying the Unsharp Mask in the same fashion.

    But as was mentioned by the other guys, you're fighting a difficult battle -- unless you scaled the graphics to taste, then rewrote the type at the size you need.
    Last edited by theGuest; Apr 9, 2003 at 18:09.

  6. #6
    get back to rowing khu19's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    New York / Boston
    Posts
    593
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    try decreasing your desktop res to 800x600 and taking a screenshot. then go back to your regular res and paste in photoshop.

  7. #7
    SitePoint Addict theGuest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Posts
    372
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's a good idea khu19... smart thinkin'.

  8. #8
    I am obstructing justice. bronze trophy fatnewt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Ottawa, Canada
    Posts
    1,766
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks for the help, but nothing's really working.


    Word isn't handling the resolution too well. (If I had the choice, it wouldn't be in Word.)

    oh well. Plan B is to restructure the document to deal with a larger image.

  9. #9
    get back to rowing khu19's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    New York / Boston
    Posts
    593
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    why not use photoshop, save as jpeg, import into word instead of directly importing to word...?

  10. #10
    SitePoint Enthusiast kansas411's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Wichita, KS
    Posts
    63
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After reducing the image size, try using the sharpen tool. That helps clear things up some.

  11. #11
    I am obstructing justice. bronze trophy fatnewt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Ottawa, Canada
    Posts
    1,766
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    khu19: I am using Photoshop... and I tried saving it in different formats. The problem is I need to reduce the size of the image.

    The sharpen tool / unsharp mask did help, but not quite to satisfaction.

  12. #12
    get back to rowing khu19's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    New York / Boston
    Posts
    593
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by khu19
    try decreasing your desktop res to 800x600 and taking a screenshot. then go back to your regular res and paste in photoshop.
    My usual resolution is 1280x1024, I reduced the res to 800x600, took a screenshot, then went back to high res.

    Went into photoshop and pasted my screenshot and got this

    http://www.one-nine.com/temp/test.jpg

    As you can see, the text is still crisp, nothing is blurry. It worked for me, I don't know what you're doing wrong.

  13. #13
    get back to rowing khu19's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    New York / Boston
    Posts
    593
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you never specified how small you're shrinking the picture.

  14. #14
    I am obstructing justice. bronze trophy fatnewt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Ottawa, Canada
    Posts
    1,766
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by khu19
    My usual resolution is 1280x1024, I reduced the res to 800x600, took a screenshot, then went back to high res.

    Went into photoshop and pasted my screenshot and got this

    http://www.one-nine.com/temp/test.jpg

    As you can see, the text is still crisp, nothing is blurry. It worked for me, I don't know what you're doing wrong.

    yes... but RESIZE that image and it'll become blurry. what you're doing has nothing to do with what i'm trying to do.


    I'm going from 1005x534 pixels to about 450x239 pixels.

    The table in the product is 1005 pixels long no matter what. this isn't an issue of changing my screen resolution.... that won't change the width of the image in pixels... only how it is displayed on the screen.

  15. #15
    get back to rowing khu19's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    New York / Boston
    Posts
    593
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I doubt you'll be able to do this successfully. You're trying to shrink to less than 50%.

  16. #16
    SitePoint Enthusiast Novapages's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    84
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fatnewt
    I'm attempting to reduce the size of a screenshot.

    The screenshot is of an HTML-based product, and was taken from a web browser. All my attempts to resize the image cause the text from the product to become blurry. (I've tried in Photoshop AND Fireworks MX). This needs to be imported into Microsoft Word and printed... and all attempts so far have been deemed unacceptable.

    Is there any way to reduce the size of the image (or take another screenshot and reduce that) so that the text isn't distorted?

    Thanks.
    Well if you were doing this for the web you'd want to use unsharp mask.

    But since you're importing into word, why not just copy and paste it in then resize it there? It'll look much nicer printed that way than it would if you resized the file outside Word.

  17. #17
    SitePoint Enthusiast Novapages's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    84
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fatnewt
    I'm going from 1005x534 pixels to about 450x239 pixels.

    The table in the product is 1005 pixels long no matter what. this isn't an issue of changing my screen resolution.... that won't change the width of the image in pixels... only how it is displayed on the screen.
    Actually changing your screen resolution would change how wide a screenshot would be in pixels, like 800x600 or 1024x768. But in this case changing your resolution would not work for two reasons: 1- the image itself is 1005 pixels so you'll need the full width displayed, and 2- since you're concerned with the printout, the more pixles the better!

    1005x534 at 300 dpi ( a good printing res ) equals 3.35" by 1.78". You could resize the image smaller than that from within Word if you need to.

    But if you take your 1005x534 image and shrink it down to 450x239 pixels, then print that, anything bigger on paper than 1.5" x .79" is going to look kinda crappy, plus everything will be blurred from the digital resize.

    I hope that's enough explanation. Resize the image in word. It might not look fantastic on screen but print it out & you'll see what I mean.

  18. #18
    I am obstructing justice. bronze trophy fatnewt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Ottawa, Canada
    Posts
    1,766
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Novapages
    Actually changing your screen resolution would change how wide a screenshot would be in pixels, like 800x600 or 1024x768.
    Yes, it would make the screenshot a different size, but not the actual thing I want. (I just want an image of the product, i'm cropping out the browser window, etc).



    Quote Originally Posted by Novapages
    Resize the image in word. It might not look fantastic on screen but print it out & you'll see what I mean.
    I hate Word. But this actually worked... looks ugly on screen, but prints fine. (I never knew that about Word before). Thankyouverymuch.

    Unfortunately this doesn't help me completely, I'd still like some smaller screenshots for web... but i guess i'll have to settle for the filters when those are necessary.

    I'm content. Thank you.

  19. #19
    SitePoint Enthusiast Novapages's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    84
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fatnewt
    I hate Word. But this actually worked... looks ugly on screen, but prints fine. (I never knew that about Word before). Thankyouverymuch.
    You're welcome.

    Quote Originally Posted by fatnewt
    Unfortunately this doesn't help me completely, I'd still like some smaller screenshots for web... but i guess i'll have to settle for the filters when those are necessary.
    Best thing (IMO) you can use for the web is a little sharpening. Try the different settings -sharpen, sharpen edges, sharpen more, unsharp mask with different settings...- and compare them to see what works best for your product.

  20. #20
    I am obstructing justice. bronze trophy fatnewt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Ottawa, Canada
    Posts
    1,766
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I think that's all that's left that I can do.

  21. #21
    SitePoint Enthusiast kansas411's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Wichita, KS
    Posts
    63
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Good thumbnails

    Unless you have to have the full image on your page (i.e. can't link to a full size pic) check out this page. It's the best way to make thumbnails that look good.


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •