User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

feedback on my ENTERTAINMENT website!

http://www.strayon.com/

its more or less a link exchange site, but in a nutshell i am providing the entertaining articles and videos for users instead of them having to go around searching for them.

also dont forget to check out any of the video pages
    http://www.strayon.com/1/v10.html

ALL feedback welcome, positive and negative please

-Does header need work on? colours?
    -Should grid layout change?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it looks awesome. The stories make me want to read them. Very enticing. I could see this doing very well. Really simple interface.

I'm not a big fan of sites like this that just link to other sites though. It gets a little frustrating but I guess some people like it.

I would spend more time on the header and maybe a more specific tagline. It's more than just the best of the internet. It seems to be entertainment specific.

Your video pages are nice and simple. Nice work.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks heaps for the feedback champ
    just made an update to the header, gave it a sharper look and got rid of the dull grey colouring i had earlier. i think it goes much better with the video pages aswell, let me know what you think!

SitePoint Mentor silver trophy
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    One major problem I see is it does not work in IE9.

The main page loads and when clicking a link a new page opens with a drop shadow where the media player should be but no media player.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The main page load speed seems slow it takes 7secs to load everything, maybe due to the 5mb page size.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks pretty good. Just a few suggestions however:

- improve your logo
    - use a different font style for the menu including the top right links
    - try a different header background, something more modern and cleaner
    - add a little extra padding for the large thumbnails and perhaps even reduce the size of the thumbnails to something a bit smaller
    Talk Jesus Forums [ Father's Love Letter ]
    LogicWeb...a smart web solution [ managed hosting since 2004 ]

SitePoint Addict bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Strayon,

You have a pretty good start on your website. There were a couple of things that stood out to me.

When I first get to your site, I have no idea what it is I’m supposed to do there. Granted I knew it was videos from around the web however I got that information from your thread on sitepoint and not the website itself. It doesn’t matter what kind of website you have, you must explain to users what it is all about and what value it adds, otherwise they will leave if they can’t understand what they are supposed to do with it. Make sure that description is above the fold as well.

The next thing is that your home page is very chaotic. You have videos everywhere from all different categories and its just overwhelming and cluttered. You need to organize it better and have less content there. Make a content area in the center of the screen and only place content inside there. Maybe have featured videos on the home page or only your most important content along with your description of what the site is.

Here are some common web design conventions that you can follow,

http://netaccountant.net/website-des...n-conventions/

Hope that helps,

Shawn

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    cheers for all feedback so far,
    some updates i have made due to this thread are:

-decreased home page size from 5mb to ~1mb
    -added a more padding to thumbnails (although not sure if it looks better or worst?)
    -made updates to the header, and fonts (criticism and suggestions please)

will take your design into consideration shawn.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The design looks like full page however the content is all on the left hand side. I would advise going for a centered table format rather then full stretch. The logo can be a little bit more colorful and interesting representing an entertainment site rather then just text especially a thin and dull text. The site is lacking content in text which would make it harder to get ranked in the search engines such as google. Also from personal experience I can state that Google adn Google adsense does not look favourably on sites which link to videos and content from other sites without their own content therefore I would definetly advise for adding your own unique content as well.

Best of luck with your site!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice design, really easy to use.
    I tried to submit 2 articles from my own website.

I added it to my Favorites

Good luck

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What I am inferring is that an intro page is a dated and an extraneous design element. It also adds extra cost to the site development. The prospective visitor not only has to type the URL in their browser (or click thru to the site from a backlink), but they then have to make another "click" to get to the info they came for in the first place. The first rule of design navigation, is to try to make it easy or at least as easy as possible for users to get to what they came for in the first place.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1. wow. its really great, your template is also awesome. Most of the users will like these type of websites having no ads.

2. Use Facebook fan page like box with faces. You just placed A 'F' Button it is not good to get likes.

3. Change the header color. presently it is in black. Try to change it into Blue or Orange.

4. Use some underlines for the all links at the header of your page.

5. your links are redirecting to another websites. Is this a affiliate website ? If so then please change the colors of every links . Because people my recognize each link for each different website.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't it is because of my internet connection or what, but in my opinion the load speed of the home page seems little bit slow.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My first impression was that I thought this was a spam pop-up..probably because the layout (big blocks of pictures and text) reminds me of some spam like websites. Is there a way to categorize some of the information? Like Movies, Technology, Celebrity, etc?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The menu ( the one at the top right) is not easily readable. I would suggest some other font. May be you could put the number of links a little lesser for it to load faster.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pretty good and clean view, but not quite clear navigation (this is my personal opinion, of course ). And it would be good to change the font on the main menu to something more... hmm... standard.

But in any case, you did a great job!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your website design is very reach. Your website is very entertainment for very person.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the general idea of your website. Its like RSS reader but well organized. I would make the layout with light colors.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The main page load speed seems slow

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The website looks 'ok', not the type of design i'd choose but it looks ok, and it's easy on the eye and neat. As other people have mentioned, the site does seem to load slow. The site almost crashed my browser, and seemed to lag quite a bit, maybe this is something to do with your host.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the site's not loading from here , i guess it is down or something wrong with it

Best Regard

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think a flashy header will make it look better. Also maybe categorize the content? Say tabs on the left side per line of content that follows. It would look neater and much more organized. I think that “like facebook” overlay would annoy users. Has the feel of a pop up. Just my two cents.