SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Hybrid View

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

fastest way to backup a a lot of directories and files?

I have an ASP based website, (on windows 2000) which creates a single windows folder every time a user creates a new account with us. Within each of these folders, other folders and files are created with a data storage pourpouse.

The problem is: making backups (means, downloading all these directories and files through an FTP software to our local machine). I use the licensed version of cute FTP to do that, and as our users grow, the more time it takes to perform the periodical backup. Now, cuteFTP is in my opinion slowing things too much when switching through each directory and this means hours of wait before a backup is completed.

Is there a faster way to perform a backup of that kind? with cuteFTP or without? or some kind of software?

thanks

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy Jeremy W.'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey,

How much data are we talking? It may be easier to find an auto-archiving program, and then schedule a download of the archive weekly or something...

Kind of equivalent to a tape backup. I mean, if you're talking multiple servers you could go all the way up to a SAN or NAS, but it doesn't really sound like you are.

So, how much data, spread over how many servers, folders and files (and OS's?)?

J
    SVP Marketing, SoCast SRM
    Personal blog: Strategerize
    Twitter: @jeremywright