SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Thread: Graphics tablet

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Graphics tablet

I want a graphics tablet [img]images/smilies/smile.gif[/img] Everyone always screams Wacom at me when I say that but Wacom sucks :P Well there too expensive anyway, why are they that expensive? I see there brought out a budget one in Europe (i'm in the uk) which is cool but this doesn't come in very good sizes, it's very small.

I know these two companies suck but there tablets don't look half bad, I have seen two from packard Bell and Trust, what is so wrong with these tablets? and what size should I be looking to get? A6 is way to small right?
    Garlic bread, I've tasted it, it's the future

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wink Size isn’t everything

Hi Smarky

I’m no graphics professional but I do spend a lot of my day working with a tablet. All my machines, both here at home and in the office, have A6 tablets attached and I’d be lost without them.

I have two Wacom PenPartners and a Genius EasyPen (I think that’s what it’s called, cost me about £35 a few years ago) and find them both excellent. The Wacom drivers are a bit on the flakey side but they are rather old these days (serial port!!)

Anyhow, the point I’m trying to make is this…….

An A6 tablet is going to give you an unbelievable amount of control when compared to what you get with a mouse. The size really isn’t important (ducks down behind sofa in an attempt to avoid all those that will say different) as you simply zoom in as far as you need to go to work on the fine detail.

Just a quick look around threw up these options……

www.qvcuk.com Item Number 418562 A6 Tablet, pressure sensitive (important), cordless mouse and full retail version of Paintshop Pro 7 all for around £65

Amazon do the tablet alone for just £35…… it got mixed reviews but might be worth you taking a look, especially at that price.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Baines

gingham dress, army boots... silver trophy redux's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i would say that the size of the tables IS important, insofar as the physical area of the pad (in the above case A6) is mapped to the resolution of your screen (e.g. 1024x768). now, the bigger the tablet, the finer the movements you can make with the pen.
    wacom don't really "suck"...they cost a good deal of money, yes, but what you get is good solid construction, fine control over the pressure levels, etc...which cheaper tablets may not have.
    re·dux (adj.): brought back; returned. used postpositively
    [latin : re-, re- + dux, leader; see duke.]
    WaSP Accessibility Task Force Member
    splintered.co.uk | photographia.co.uk | redux.deviantart.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So what size should I get? A5? I can get a nice big one but it's a packard bell or trust lol how are those ones?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up

I knew the size argument would happen

Redux is dead right in what he says, but that assumes you are working at 1:1 zoom ratio. If you choose to zoom in and view a smaller area of the image you are working with, then mapping of the tablet can represent much, much higher resolutions.

Working with the desktop, the smaller tablets have the distinct advantage of allowing any point on the desktop to be selected, without the need to move your forearm; a point I find very strange when I do use a larger scale tablet. It's what you get used to I know but there it is.

I still think its true to say that ANY tablet, of whatever size, is infinitely better than no tablet at all and if cost is a factor, an A6 tablet is well worth trying out……..

……. Could be wrong of course

Baines

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I have a Wacom (Graphire Pro ). It's definitely worth it (I saw some for $80 at Circuit City the other day, $20 off normal price), and hopefully I'll be upgrading to an Intuos soon.

About the screen mapping: Yes, it's not as comfortable as I'd like on the small tablet I have, but I generally don't have too many problems using it, as long as my resolution is below 1600x1200. I'm using 1280x1024 here at work and use 1152x864 at home, so the Graphire is pretty adequate for those resolutions.

Another benefit: you'll notice much less strain on your wrist with a tablet vs. a mouse if you're in front of your computer for hours every day like I am. I'm happy putting off carpal tunnel syndrome and other problems for as long as I can .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What if I can get a good sized one for the same price as a smaller wacom, A packard bell one is big and only £50, yes I had packard bell as much as yall but if it does the job what is the problem?

The problem with Wacom is they give a mouse away with it, someone should tell them that people that buy Graphic tablets already have a mouse, wish they won't bundle pointless things with it that make the cost higher. I already have photoshop 7 I see others bundle elements, grrrr prob the tablet would be cheaper without, I think that is another reason why the trust and Packard bell are cheaper ones

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't get too close, I bite! Nicky's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought my Wacom from www.dabs.com a few years back, they do good deals.

gingham dress, army boots... silver trophy redux's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    dabs stopped accepting switch and debit cards...only credit cards. their loss, i buy lots of tech, but don't have a CC...
    re·dux (adj.): brought back; returned. used postpositively
    [latin : re-, re- + dux, leader; see duke.]
    WaSP Accessibility Task Force Member
    splintered.co.uk | photographia.co.uk | redux.deviantart.com

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    personally unless you want to trace a lot of images using the tablet I would go for a smaller size...
    I have found larger ones aren't all that more useful for usually loads more cash...
    but that is just my opinion!