User Tag List

Thread: Torn Edges

Hybrid View

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Torn Edges

Hi! I'm a photoshop user, and I'm gonna make a poster and I will have some picture with torn edges, like the edges in this link:http://www.graphicdesigner.ca/photos...l/104.003.html
    When I use the torn edges function, it seems to affect the edges in the whole picture, not just the edges around the picture. What can I do?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    aaa... not quite following your question here andreask...?

Are you referring to you trying to effect a "section" of a photo... and not the overall photo itself?

If that's the case, make a selection around the part you want to apply the Torn Edges filter to, then press Ctrl+J to copy the select area to a new layer. Then run the filter on that.

Hope that helps.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by andreask
    Hi! I'm a photoshop user, and I'm gonna make a poster and I will have some picture with torn edges, like the edges in this link:http://www.graphicdesigner.ca/photos...l/104.003.html
    When I use the torn edges function, it seems to affect the edges in the whole picture, not just the edges around the picture. What can I do?
    Hey, IMHO, I've got a pretty good method for torn edges. I can write out instructions if you'd like (I'm looking in another forum right now for a thread where I posted my method), or if you don't have time or patience to play with methods you can outsource it to me.. just send me a pm. I can do torn paper of any color & thickness, or even torn corragated (sp?) cardboard.

So here, I found my "instructions" ... I'll probably be writing them up with better steps here soon as a tutorial for my site. Know that getting the right custom effect is a little cumbersome but I think the realistic-ness of the end result is worth it. Perhaps I'll try making an action, too, for quick jobs.

>>>>
    7413.14 in reply to 7413.13 Well after reading a few tutorials and staring at a piece of paper my son tore tonight, I think I've got a good effect going here. What do you think of it? I used an image of scanned torn paper as a mask over my main image. The tutorials I read suggested to then just add a white drop shadow, but that didn't look realistic. If you look at torn paper you know the white border doesn't always follow the colored part of the edge, and that there are layers to a thicker piece of paper. So I used the same mask on a white layer, then repositioned this white torn edge under my rose picture to make a not-so-exact border. In fact I did this a couple of times so I had two or three white layers. Then I added a small, VERY faint but not very blurred drop shadow to each of the layers & set it on a black background. Tada! I personally think it looks pretty real..
    Attached Images Attached Images