SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Hybrid View

Dumb PHP codin' cat
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know most of you will think, Why Access? I myself do, but my company insists on it. We are having incredible server stress while using CF to mkae db calls to MS Access for one of our websites. Can someone please explain to me what causes the server strain is it CF or is it MS Access as a DB server for the web?
    Please don't PM me with questions.
    Use the forums, that is what they are here for.

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually its ODBC....

Access will fail log before it causes any strain on the server. If they must use a Microsoft Database they should upgrade to SQL Server.
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

Dumb PHP codin' cat
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Wayne, so as far as you know there is nothing I could do to better the performance without spending the cash on SQL Server 7.0?

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can upgrade to Access 2000 and switch to OLE DB if Cold Fusion supports it. Unfortunately that is about all you can do. The other option is to move your queries into VB Modules and querys within Access. This way the Jet Engine is doing the work and not ODBC. This depends on whether Cold Fusion can call stored procedures.

Access is a personal database primarily meant for housing relatively small databases. Once you start getting close to 50,000 records then your hitting limitations.

The other option is to convert your database to MySQL and use that as long as Cold Fusion supports it. If the company has processes that use the Access Database within the company you can make external links to the data in the MySQL database and still use Access Forms and Reports to manipulate it. If your willing to go this, there could be more work involved though and it depends on how well you know Access.

I don't know Cold Fusion so this is more from a database standpoint. Since my host offers Cold Fusion support, I suppose it is time to learn it.
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

Dumb PHP codin' cat
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Wayne the only problem is that we are using a Cold Fusion store program that is already compiled and I can't get to the code and it has limitations on what it uses. If I had my way I would have used PHP and MySQL from the start

Serial Publisher silver trophy aspen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cold Fusion strictly uses DSN connections. I've never admin'd a CF server so I dont know what all it supports but it does not rely on NT ODBC DSNs, you can also set DSN in the Cold Fusion administrator yourself, this is how it is done on a unix server. Because of this I'm sure it would support MySQL, but I really don't know.

Chris

Dumb PHP codin' cat
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the help, I suppose accessing MySQL would still have to go trhough MyODBC and I would be no better than I was before. I think I'll talk 'em into PHP