SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unique Clipart Images

I am thinking about starting a new free clipart site. I know the net nees one of these like it needs a hole in the head. But I plan on making one that is pop up and gateway free. what I need is 500-1000 UNIQUE images to use on the site. Does anyone know where I can get images like these? Or any companies that sell bulk images for any kind of use, including free redistribution? What I am basically looking for is the rights to at least 500 images.

SitePoint Evangelist TRISPECTIVE's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well.. First of all: if you buy/get the clipart images from a company/person, then the cliparts will no longer be UNIQUE as long they have already been distributed to others (you, for example).

Second: 500 images sounds like a small amount of content to me, at least if you want to be popular or something.

However, if you are interested, you can get clipart CD-ROMs from other companies that already have websites like yours. I don't have any exact URL in mind right now, but you could google for it. (You should be aware of any copyright for the stuff you are buying before publishing on the future website, too)

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They would be unique if they were only sold to me, and no one else.

500 Is more than most. They say they have thousands, but they don't.

I have tried google, otherwise I wouldn't be asking ;-)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If they SELL such CDROMs, I guess you will not be the sole buyer, right?

When you meant google, I hope you meant "free clipart cdrom" search, because it spits enough results.

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would like to be the sole buyer.

And none of those results allow you to redistibute the clipart freely. None that I can see. Sure there is clipart there to purchase, but that does not mean you can redistribute it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got your point, but in order to be the sole buyer you should really "hire" someone to create the clipart for you and I guess the creating 500 images will not be a cheap task, taking in cosideration the fact that you will distribute them freely. Did you try the Trading Post section?

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I shouldnt have to hire. I know a few other sites that buy for commercial use but they arent going to reveal their secrets. But there surely are a few companies out there that do it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you sure that they did not hire someone to create the cliparts (this might even include hiring a team or something).

You said "But there surely are a few companies out there that do it"; asking a company to do the job instead of a person or a team would still result in hiring.

Ok, now.. one fact is for sure, nobody will create 500-1000 cliparts for free.

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am positive, people license clipart for use.

I dont want to keep going back and forth. If someone knows a company that does do it please post and let me know :-)

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you thought of creating a portal site with the already 1000's of awesome clipart sites out there?

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    huh?

Where have you seen thousands of awesome sites? I have seen a ton with the same content, and thousands with pop ups and, and tricky gateways. I think most would agree that 99% are crap.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Image pack help

does anybody know which image pack these images can be found on? It's either Corel or Clickart... i think

Yahoo uses them, sony and a number of other sites.
    i don't mind paying for these set -only- via paypal.