SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So Ya Wanna Be a Designer?

Occupational Outlook Handbook for Designers (US Dep't of Labor, Bureau of Labor Statistics)
    • Three out of 10 designers are self-employed--almost 5 times the proportion for all professional and related occupations.
    • Creativity is crucial in all design occupations; most designers need a bachelor's degree, and candidates with a master's degree hold an advantage.
    • Keen competition is expected for most jobs, despite projected faster-than-average employment growth, because many talented individuals are attracted to careers as designers.
    Designers are people with a desire to create. They combine practical knowledge with artistic ability to turn abstract ideas into formal designs for the merchandise we buy, the clothes we wear, the publications we read, and the living and office space we inhabit....
    This details many design fields (i.e. graphic design to flower design; Web design is considered with graphic design) and their growth expectations to '10. Obviously it's US centric, but a lot of stuff was pretty general so it might be applicable to those outside the US, too. Some other interesting things to note are that in '00 there're 190,000 graphic designers with a median income or $34,570.

Might be an interesting read, if you're lookin' for a career. :-)

~~Ian

P.S. This's here & not the Business/Career forum since it's not too applicable to other fields, or general business sense, &c.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the info.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Glass
    This details many design fields (i.e. graphic design to flower design; Web design is considered with graphic design) and their growth expectations to '10. Obviously it's US centric, but a lot of stuff was pretty general so it might be applicable to those outside the US, too. Some other interesting things to note are that in '00 there're 190,000 graphic designers with a median income or $34,570.

Might be an interesting read, if you're lookin' for a career. :-)

~~Ian

P.S. This's here & not the Business/Career forum since it's not too applicable to other fields, or general business sense, &c.
    Just a note: even with freelancing the degree is a big plus. I'm trying to freelance, and I think I do a fine job, but I still don't make much.

Hoping to go back to school,

-Velda