User Tag List

Hybrid View

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Angry I've just about had it...

ok, I started working with CSS based designs a few months ago. I've been getting really frustrated lately because it seems like every design I make(and I make them in IE6) looks like crap in the other browsers.

and not just little issues, but things like making horizontal scrolling apear on netscape, breaking alignment and rounded corners and basicly just making it not look like a decent page anymore.

I'm about to do a re-design and I'm trying to find some reasons not to just block my site from non IE5+ users. They take up easily 90% of web users and I don't need their traffic bad enough to rip my hair out over design issues.

Is there a website that lists all the different CSS design issues and exactly how they work along with ways to get around them? I would like to make the site available to more browsers but it's just not worth it to me if I'm going to have to change my design drasticly and/or spend many hours figuring out exactly how to get around it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://www.w3schools.com

that site lists which values are accepted in IEx.x and Netscape x.x browsers.

-rsdl

SitePoint Evangelist Mr. Brownstone's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What design issues? What web-site?

Show us some source!
    Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong.

Put your best practices away. The New Guy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Develope in Mozilla, I find that renders CSS most accurately. Then if it works on Mozilla it usually works on Netscape and Opera awell. While IE may be problematic at times, its usually only needs a quick fix.
    "A nerd who gets contacts
    and a trendy hair cut is still a nerd"

- Stephen Colbert on Apple Users

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    most of my problems seem to be from differences in how the browsers align things or how they position things. Things that have to do with absolute positioning, padding, margins etc.

One thing I noticed was I had a design where I had 2 side bars(one on the right and one on the left) and then a header about 70 or so pixels high and a middle section to display the content.

The problem was that the middle section was a different color than the background and I wanted it to span from the bottom of the header to the bottom of the page but in netscape it have a 70 pixel space at the bottom between the bottom of the middle section and the bottom of the page...