SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

I have to give an introductory teaching session in web design next week to some 2nd year university students.

Basic stuff, and they will be using Dreamweaver.

I could really do with some tips and suggestions of how to do it.

I thought I would talk them through creating a simple three page homesite. Give them some images on floppies to use. Also going to explain some terms, URL, HTTP, etc.

Any ideas?????

HELP!!!!

Peter
    Thread Closed - Before and After.
    www.Gods101.co.uk - Affordable Quality.
    www.scepticism-inc.com - All extremists should be taken out and shot!

Irritability Defined
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Peter,

You got the basics down pat. LOL

In all seriousness, what's the aptitude of the 2nd year students? Knowledgeable in web design? Utter beginners?

It sounds like it's the latter, so go basic and build your way up. Explain some rudimentary terms, have printouts of common HTML tags which may be useful, have some images and have plenty of URLs to other useful resources like SP, WebReference, WDVL, etc.

Of course, encourage plenty of questions so that you don't have to teach as much

Above all, the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth. Students will see through any falsities or bull**** that you may accidentally come up with.

Good luck!

P.S. This is from a 2nd year student's point of view

I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaack! Fluffykins's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, that'd be a challenge. I've never actually taught students before. With me it's usually college staff, they're a nightmare I can tell you. Give me 2nd year undergaduates any day.

My approach is to plan things out before hand, and try and make things as hands on as possible. Prepare a series of tasks that go through setting up a site and show them the basics of the interface and stuff like hyperlinks, inserting images and maybe using tables for layout, then let them loose for a bit to try some things out. Take questions, and demonstrate the answers at the front. (Data projector and laptop are a godsend here).

The advantage of making things hands on is that they do most of the work, and from a student's point of view i'd much rather be left to figure out a software package, with some help when I needed it and a few pointers at the start, than being hand-held all the way.

Before the end of the session I usually give a quick summary of what we've done, and give them a final chance to raise any questions they've got.

BIGGEST problem with college staff is that there are two types. One type will ask you every question under the sun and want to get as much out of the session as possible (nice, but very time consuming), the other type will get stuck, sit there on their own and not ask for help, then grumble when they go away with pages that don't work. Mad.

Here endeth today's rant.

Ady
    v-technologies - Freelance Goodness.

Freelance Web Designer KeithMcL's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Previously, as part of my job I was asked to teach new comers to the job about certain internet products like ICQ, AIM, FTP etc.

The way I prepared was by starting from stratch myself, treating myself as a total novice. I prepared plenty of printouts including screen shots and small tips and notes on each chapter (also including a summary of that chapter).

Then give them a small project on what they learned during that chapter. There's no better way to learn than hands on experience (IMO).

hope this helps