SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Thread: Setting Up PHP

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Setting Up PHP

I posted another thread eariler, but I thought this topic would need a different one. I got the newest version of PHP installed *(and I read the installation and conf, sections of the online manual) and I pointed *.php to the php.exe file in app mappings in internet services manager, but I'm still not getting anywhere. All the files on my computer with a php ext, are unknown I try to run them and I get an unknown file type box.. Somthing must not be right but I can't figure it out. This is my first time using PHP. I installed using the InstallSheild version for IIs. So I don't know whats wrong.

[img]images/smilies/xeye.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wait a second here.... I'm trying to click on a php file and open it. Just because I pointed iis to use php with php.exe does that mean I sould be able to click on them and open them.

I think I am confused. I should only open a php file in internet explorer right? unless I open it in a program to edit the code?

Argh. How can I test this then to make sure everything is up and running.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No you can't just click on them to open them.... A php script its just a text file, it only runs via a browser/web server or the command line (don't go there)

Just read the install instructions......

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil.Roberts
    No you can't just click on them to open them.... A php script its just a text file, it only runs via a browser/web server or the command line (don't go there)

Just read the install instructions......
    great thanks! Now I'm not so confused. I don't know what I was thinking. I guess I thought that by pointing php to php.exe I would be able to click and open the files.

O well, thanks for the help. I'm going to go try and find a few php/mysql examples now and see what I can do.