SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I need the smallest WYSIWYG editor that there is (byte-wise).

I want to be able to send it to the people who write content for my page with a template so that they can just fill in the blanks and save it to send to me.

Any good ones that are small enough to email the full program? (preferably not to difficult use - although I can walk them through it.

Thank you,

Chad

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://www.evrsoft.com/download/

1stPage 2000 - it's 5MB, but I'm not sure how much smaller a WYSIWYG editor is going to get. If you're looking for a simple HTML editor...IE: Notepad on steriouds, then try http://www.editplus.com and http://www.textpad.com

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I downloaded 1st page, and actually I was looking for a WYSIWYG for my writers. I want to be able to give them a template that they can insert their text into (lots of tables involved) - but if they are inserting text into a table, it needs to show them the table, not the HTML.

I do like the 1st page editor though, and will keep it for my own editing! Thanks!

Chad

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If your site is run by a Database backend and PHP, PERL or ASP then you can just create a webform for them to input their text into. Then when you present the page you can insert it in the template of your choice.

While a complex example, this entire forum site is driven by templates, forms and database tables.

If you go to http://www.hotscripts.com you will be able to find an Article Manager similar to this to fit within whatever your current server architecture is.
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Netscape Composer comes to my mind. It's integral part of Communicator so it's possible that they already have it. It's free also.
    SPAW Editor v.2 - web based wysiwyg editor for PHP and ASP.NET.
    Opera and Safari support, tabbed interface, floating toolbar...

I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaack! Fluffykins's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's always FrontPage Express. You can download it from the Microsoft Website, it's not got a whole load of advanced features but it's good for writers, especially cos it's interface looks a lot like Word, which most writer types have experience of.

Ady
    v-technologies - Freelance Goodness.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A very simple suggestion would to be use includes...either Server Side Includes or PHP's version. They type up their content with whatever minor HTML tags needed (bold, italic, header) then in your HTML page, you call for content.txt.

easy as pie.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chad J,

To expand on creole's explanation and idea, you could have them create a text file with appropriate tags, etc., and upload it to your server. Then, when they advise you of the file name, you can include the file name in a .shtml page with a tag that says <!--#include file="content.txt"--> where you want their article included.

The problem with this, however, is that the writer must know some basic html in order to include tags in their text file, which was, I believe your original problem.

Short of that, I'd go with the FrontPage Express or the Netscape Composer options.

Good luck!
    ~ Melanie

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I appreciate the input. I have sent them Netscape composer.

Melny59, Luke, and creole,
    I had thought of using includes, but I need to keep dates, and links updated...leaving past content up.

I need to get a better knowledge of PHP to create a script that will interact with a database through a form. After looking at what I need to accomplish, this would be the only alternative.

ALTHOUGH, luke, I am going to check hotscripts now to see if they have something. My server will support just about anything available for unix.

Thanks again,

Chad

I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaack! Fluffykins's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Of course there's always the option of using Word 97 / 2000's Save As HTML option, presuming they use Word of course.

You could even create them a simple Word template based on your site layout. The output isn't amazing with Word, but it's useable.

Ady
    v-technologies - Freelance Goodness.