SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Results 1 to 5 of 5
  1. #1
    SitePoint Zealot str8acer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Posts
    160
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    gif images/blurry

    Why is it when I make transparent gif images they sorta suck. It comes out blury. I know that it is the outer glow, i'm trying to make banner ads for my friends gambling web site, but I don't wanna give him sucky banners. Are there any tricks that i can do to make them look cool, fun and eye catching?

  2. #2
    SitePoint Enthusiast Novapages's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    84
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by str8acer
    Why is it when I make transparent gif images they sorta suck. It comes out blury. I know that it is the outer glow, i'm trying to make banner ads for my friends gambling web site, but I don't wanna give him sucky banners. Are there any tricks that i can do to make them look cool, fun and eye catching?
    Are you referring to the way the edges blend into the background, creating an obnoxious unwanted "glow?" If so, just make sure your matte color is the same color as the background you'll be using, then the edges will antialis smoothly. As banner ads do they have to be transperant anyway?

    If your images are blurry because you've added an outer glow, tone down the glow. Or if your images are blurry because they've been resized or something, try using a little unsharp mask.

    Hope that helps, but if it doesn't help you, just give us a few more details on the problem and I'm sure I or someone else here could give you a hand.

  3. #3
    SitePoint Zealot str8acer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Posts
    160
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Novapages
    Are you referring to the way the edges blend into the background, creating an obnoxious unwanted "glow?" If so, just make sure your matte color is the same color as the background you'll be using, then the edges will antialis smoothly. As banner ads do they have to be transperant anyway?

    If your images are blurry because you've added an outer glow, tone down the glow. Or if your images are blurry because they've been resized or something, try using a little unsharp mask.

    Hope that helps, but if it doesn't help you, just give us a few more details on the problem and I'm sure I or someone else here could give you a hand.
    Yeah my friend wants them to be transparent. You can take a look at them here.

    http://www.belizeweb.com/lifesabet/index.htm

    Thanks

  4. #4
    SitePoint Enthusiast Novapages's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    84
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by str8acer
    Yeah my friend wants them to be transparent. You can take a look at them here.

    http://www.belizeweb.com/lifesabet/index.htm

    Thanks
    Those are pretty flashy.

    So I take it he or she wanting one transperant banner to go on any color background? You can make them .swfs but basically gifs don't support partial transperancy. So you'll need to blend the partially transperant pixles (your glows around the letters, plus antialiasing) into the background color you want to use. If you change the background color to something else afterward it's going to look funky. So basically you'd need a different gif for every color anyway, and by then you might as well make them non transperant.

  5. #5
    SitePoint Enthusiast Novapages's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    84
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by str8acer
    Yeah my friend wants them to be transparent. You can take a look at them here.

    http://www.belizeweb.com/lifesabet/index.htm

    Thanks
    Oh, one more thing. You can design the images with NO partially transperant pixles to begin with by dropping the drop shaddows and glows and using a solid outline instead of antialiasing.


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •