SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast oneafrikan's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi there
    Having not been to sitepoint for a bit, I still though that the boards were done by Ultimate Bulletin Board (UBB).
    However, it's now powered by vBulletin Version .1.3. Is this a name change, or different app.?

I like this board - it's good, clean and well presented - I would like to use it in a community project I'm involved in developing. Where can I get it? and can anyone point me to a help page where I can learn what I need to set it up?, or at least pass on to my programmer.

Are there any other Boards I could use which are "as good" or better?

Thanks

Gareth

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Surprise, surprise: http://www.vbulletin.com
    Kevin Yank
    CTO, sitepoint.com
    I wrote: Simply JavaScript | BYO PHP/MySQL | Tech Times | Editize
    Baby’s got back—a hard back, that is: The Ultimate CSS Reference

SitePoint Enthusiast oneafrikan's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yup, yup it's confirmed - I am officially a Dumbass.

After posting the question, I slowly realised that vbulletin.com may be the answer. I think pinky's got my brain! ;-)

But still - UBB or VBulletin?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Definitely vBulletin.

UBB is CGI-based, meaning for every request a browser makes, a process is launched on your Web server. Not only is this slower than a server-side scripting solution from the get-go, but if your site garners a lot of traffic, performance will quickly degrade even further as your server struggles to keep up with so many processes being launched all the time.

vBulletin is written in PHP, which is widely acknowledged as a very speedy server-side scripting language that integrates right into your Web server. Especially with the new version 4.0, which you can speed up even further by installing Zend Optimizer, PHP makes for a very speedy forum.

UBB stores all its data in static HTML files, updating them with new posts and replies on the fly. As threads get longer and categories fill up, UBB can slow to a crawl as it spends most of its time sifting through HTML files.

vBulletin uses the high-speed, lightweight, and free MySQL database engine to store all its data. This makes for a much faster, more robust and scalable solution than UBB can offer.

vBulletin all the way!
    Kevin Yank
    CTO, sitepoint.com
    I wrote: Simply JavaScript | BYO PHP/MySQL | Tech Times | Editize
    Baby’s got back—a hard back, that is: The Ultimate CSS Reference

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also think vBulletin is definitely the way to go.
    Its really easy to install...took me about 5 minutes!
    But, there is one major disadvantage - it costs $160.

Gong!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Funny point is that UBB can handle a lot of traffic without any noticeable delay. Even if it is CGI program and many people see it slow, it can easily handle over 6000 members and thousands of posts a day.

As from a visitor's point of view, there ain't much difference between UBB and vBulletin, since they remind quite a lot eachother. One thing what I like with UBB and the thing, which is missing from vBulletin is that many searchengines can index HTML-pages UBB creates and you can perhaps find something useful through it.