SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Serial Publisher silver trophy aspen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I went through many struggles today.

First things first. My keyboard shorted out, guess I shouldn't have washed it eh? And so I went to Best Buy to replace it, while there I also picked up a spindle of 50 CDs and as I was passing the W2k display I thought, "Gonna have to do it eventually" and bought the update.

Update went fine. Until then I couldn't use my ethernet card (which I need to interface with my cable modem) and some other things, my scanner doesn't work now, and my cd-r software needs an update, but that stuff I can fix online, I can't get online without an ethernet card.

Well my current ethernet card was a linksys and I had had it for awhile. When I initially bought it the driver disk came corrupted (so they say I think they're just a stupid company) and so I had to go online to get the real driver for it, this whole process was horribly long, confusing, and complicated.

So I went back to bestbuy to get a ethernet card.
    I had not had good experiences with linksys before but it takes up most of the shelfroom at bestbuy and I was particularly moved by their "cable/dsl" sticker on front so I bought another linksys.

The installation instructions seemed simple. w2k would find it and prompt me for the driver. I would enter "A:win200/" and say search. Unfortunately it couldn't find the driver in that directory, but it did find one in the win95 directory, which too bad was a old driver and not compatible with w2k.

So I called them, and waited, and waited, and waited, then they said they'd call me back. And I waited, and waited. Meanwhile I got it installed manually using some driver so that the system wasn't having any problems with it, but it still wouldn't work with my cable modem. So I call up att. We go through extensive tests and come to the conclusion that my ethernet card is **** and I should call linksys.

Haha I wasn't going to do that, so I returned it, and bought another. This was trip #3 to bestbuy in the same day.

This one was a 3com one but lo and behold it ended up not working on 2000.

By this point I was just in general pissed at Best Buy and linksys, and they didn't have any other brands had I even wanted to go back. So I went to circuit city. Bought a d link ethernet card for cheaper than the other 2 I had bought today. Came back and plugged it in. I didn't even get prompted for the driver, I did not have to enter DNS info. No, it installed itself instantly and I was backonline after an 8 hour hiatus.

There is a lesson in all of this if you've read this far. Do not buy anything Linksys or you will regret it.

Chris

I eventually managed to

[Edited by jamesglewisf on 11-15-2000 at 06:22 PM]

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have always used Linksys.. Currently have one installed in each of my computers and am using a Linksys 10/100 mhz Switch at home.

Total Network installation: 10 minutes

Granted of course I am not using Win2K but have never had any problems under NT before.
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

Idea Developer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i like realtech cards, windows has drivers for them already so it takes 2 min to install.
    Professional PHP programing / Hosting
    aim: downtoi3iz icq: 74637813

Don't get too close, I bite! Nicky's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Forgive me for being ignorant but I have never heard of Best Buy Is it the equivalent of PC World in the UK?
    Sort of cheap/generic PC supermarket for the average joe.

Serial Publisher silver trophy aspen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    None of the above unfortunately.

Kat's Meow Senior ******* WebKat's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Nicky
    Forgive me for being ignorant but I have never heard of Best Buy Is it the equivalent of PC World in the UK?
    Sort of cheap/generic PC supermarket for the average joe.
    "Best Buy" is a department store specializing in electronics & appliances & office furniture - online and a brick & mortar store.

...Fry's also has computers AND refrigerators, whereas CompUSA, ComputerWareHouse and (enter other names here) deal primarily in computer 'S & Hardware' - volume and low prices...Sometimes!

...All trying to be "cheap/generic PC supermarket for the average joe"

---> BTW - Nicky, I only thought PC World was the magazine that I get each month - it's also a UK electronics store??
    Dlynn :: SitePoint Senior Advisor ::
    PawPrint Designs by WebKat
    "Dogs come when they're called; Cats take a message and get back to you later." ~ Mary Bly

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I learned a similar lesson with Windows Millenium. I'd burn that CD before I ever let it near my computer again. I had to format and I lost alot of stuff and spent a ton of time on the problems it caused!

I also use Linksys and I think they are great. They're good quality and affordable.

Fluffy Kitten Programmer~ Elledan's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've a SMC EZ Card 10/100 (SMC1211TX/WL) for the LAN and a cheap, NE2000 compatible networkcard for cable internet. This card has no brand (except 'made in Taiwan' ) and I got it working within seconds in Win98, Win2k, BeOS and Linux.

BTW congratulations with your choice for win2k, you won't regret it!
    www.nyanko.ws - My web-, software- and game development company.
    www.mayaposch.com - My personal site and blog.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by WebKat
    ---> BTW - Nicky, I only thought PC World was the magazine that I get each month - it's also a UK electronics store??
    [/B]
    Yep is sure is. They sell loads of stuff at high prices, basically for newbies

My home network is made up of 3Com 10/100 cards in PCs running loads of different OSes (Win2k, WinNT4, Win98, WinME, Linux, etc). All attached to a 3Com OfficeConnect hub..works fine..never had any probs at all
    Except when my brother accidentally knocked the power switch to the hub off and nothing worked...spent ages figuring that one out

exit();
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LOL what a day, huh?

Did those people even call you back?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by James
    Originally posted by WebKat
    Yep is sure is. They sell loads of stuff at high prices, basically for newbies

My home network is made up of 3Com 10/100 cards in PCs running loads of different OSes (Win2k, WinNT4, Win98, WinME, Linux, etc). All attached to a 3Com OfficeConnect hub..works fine..never had any probs at all
    Except when my brother accidentally knocked the power switch to the hub off and nothing worked...spent ages figuring that one out
    [/B]
    Oooooo, I hate power prolems, that you spend hours on trying to fix because you think its software, and all you have to do is unplug it and replug it in or turn it back on.