0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is the new PC I'll probaly be getting:

Dell Dimension 4100 Desktop.
    -Intel PIII 800mhz.
    -64MB SDRAM/7.5GB Hard Drive.
    -10/100 LAN.
    -32MB NVIDIA TNT2 M64 4X AGP Graphics Card.
    -48X Max Variable CD-ROM Drive.
    -15" Colour Monitor (13.8" v.i.s)
    -Microsoft OEM Works Suite 2000/Microsoft Windows 98 Second Edition/Norton Antivirus 2000

This comp is $2,297AU Is that an ok deal? I'll be using it just for website design, Programming etc.

And is my hard drive big enough? I want to partition it and install Linux. If not, I could add more space.

If you guys can help out, it'll be great. I don't want to pay more then I have to.
    russell.cz.cc - coming soon (I promise!)

Gong!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would suggest getting more RAM than 64MB, since Windows and Linux do like it very much I would say that 128MB is the minimum amount of memory you should buy and while you're at it, I suggest 256MB.

It is funny to see that people have computers with 1GHz processor's, but they have so little amount of memory - and that's the bottleneck to solve.

Don't get too close, I bite! Nicky's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree. Go with 256 RAM, even if you have to get a slower processor, you will definitely see the difference. Also, if you are planning on partitioning and installing BOTH Windows and Linux I would get a bigger hardrat least 13 gig. Hard drives are not that expensive and will certainly be useful if you are dealing a lot with multimedia.

And if you are planning to do your work on it web design/programming it is essential you have some form of backup device such as a CD writer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, I lowered the processor to a Celeron L566cx and added 256 meg ram this put the price up 700 dollars but I chose a $1500 machine and added the ram, backup isnt a problem at this point in time.

Any better?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree, 64 RAM isn't enough. I have it and desperately need to upgrade.

15-inch monitor is a little small, if you ask me. If I were going to buy a computer today, I'd get the 19-inch one or the super-duper dream flat screen computer. (I'm on a 17-inch now).

7.5 GB isn't nearly enough hard drive space... I have 9.54 and I feel THAT is outdated. (And I got this way back in 1998).

I would recommend getting minimum 20 GB hard driver, 19-inch monitor, and 128 or more RAM. But then again, that's me. Do what's best for you.

Don't get too close, I bite! Nicky's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think 17" is adequate. However, it's good you went for more RAM. I really wouldn't leave the backup too long, I speak from experience BACK UP

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    personaly i like tha Maxtor graphic cards, they have dual monitor support, which can come in handy.

17" is better (on your eyes), especially if you plan on working with graphics. I'g go for dell trinitron, they seem to be above the rest, although Hitachi and ViewSonic worked great for me too!

I am about to do an upgrade for my HD so I can have a win/linix machine. Currently I am on a 4Gb HD, and its not enough to even do NT with all the junk I have. The bigger the better, I am thinking something around 15-20 Gb

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Doesn't it come with WinMe? I purchased a (really good) Dell system more than a month ago...came with WinMe.

The first config you had needed lots more RAM, but the second one had a somewhat weak processor. Maybe you should wait until the P4 comes out...getting that will allow you to save up a little more for it and it'll keep you from going out of date for a while too.

I think 128MB or if possible 256MB of RAM is great. You can always add RAM, and prices are falling really fast, so you won't be bad with 128MB.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Guys I forgot to mention that I can't go higher then $2,500AU so most of the stuff that you mention really isn't possible.

So basically all I can do is change it to 128meg ram, and upgrade my hard drive.

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by RussellG
    Guys I forgot to mention that I can't go higher then $2,500AU so most of the stuff that you mention really isn't possible.

So basically all I can do is change it to 128meg ram, and upgrade my hard drive.
    With Windows 98 that should be fine... I wouldn't upgrade to Windows ME though, it doesn't have the features needed in an upgrade. Especially when its successor goes to Beta this month and should be available this time next year.
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am using 192RAM on a 500 Celeron, the RAM runs out very easily after loading/unloading apps.
    But much much better than with 64MB.
    For the HDD, 7.5GB is quite small now!
    I am thinking of getting a 30GB
    - Son Nguyen
    AdSpeed.com - Ad Serving and Ad Management Made Easy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, I lowered the processor to a Celeron L566cx and added 256 meg ram this put the price up 700 dollars but I chose a $1500 machine and added the ram, backup isnt a problem at this point in time.

Any better?
    Dont get 256 if it ups the cost 700 dollars. And dont go to a celeron 566. Just try and up it to 128 mb. and get a bigger hard drive, at least 20 gb i think. 15" monitor is tine, i love my 19". try and get a cd-rw if you can.

the computer you listed is not worth 2300 in us dollars. but i dunno what the au to us conversion is. you could get the cmoputer you listed in us for 1000 bucks.

but go with dell, they are so great. i love them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by W. Luke

With Windows 98 that should be fine... I wouldn't upgrade to Windows ME though, it doesn't have the features needed in an upgrade. Especially when its successor goes to Beta this month and should be available this time next year.
    How do you become a beta tested for whistler?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ya thanks for the info, I'm trying to find some better deals.

I wish I could buy a comp that had linux installed instead of windows.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ya thanks for the info, I'm trying to find some better deals.

I wish I could buy a comp that had linux installed instead of windows.
    Dell, Compaq and Gateway all sell computers with Linux instead of Windows. Not going to save you any money though. Dell's contract with Red Hat makes Linux more expensive to distribute than Windows is. Than again, Red Hat is more expensive that Windows retail as well.
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by jumpthru
    How do you become a beta tested for whistler?
    Join the MSDN Enterprise subscription. With that you get about 30 CD's every four months with all of Microsoft's products, current and beta, on them. Or you can wait until they come out with the first release candidate (RC1) and apply to join the public beta.
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How much does the subscription cost?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    $2499 the first year and $1999 each year after that for the Universal (used to be Enterprise) Package.
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, thats very affordable for a 14 year old.

Do you subscribe?