SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

I am obstructing justice. bronze trophy fatnewt's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DIVs in netscape 4.x...

I'm having trouble with a site of mine. It's valid XHTML and CSS, and it looks fine in IE6, Netscape 7/Mozilla 1.0, Opera ...

but, as can be expected, completely screws up in Netscape 4... it's built with DIV elements using CSS positioning and formatting.... and in Netscape 4 the divs overlap, and cause general chaos.

I noticed that SitePoint.com shows a simplified version of the page in Netscape 4... I'd like to know how this was done, or if anyone has any suggestions. (is that the way the page loaded in NS4 anyways, or were special measures taken to make it look somewhat presentable?). I'd like people to be able to at least READ my content if they're trapped in NS4.

gingham dress, army boots... silver trophy redux's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i use a different approach to sitepoint. netscape 4 doesn't understand the @import CSS directive. so what i do is: have an external stylesheet with basic styles that work ok in n4, then have a style declaration after that which imports the "proper" stylesheets (with advanced CSS, in most cases redefining/overwriting the styles defined by the n4-friendly css). e.g.
    Code:
    <link rel="stylesheet" href="/common/basic.css" type="text/css" title="basic style" />
    <style type="text/css">
    	@import url(/common/advanced.css); /* the proper styles for modern browsers */
    </style>
    re·dux (adj.): brought back; returned. used postpositively
    [latin : re-, re- + dux, leader; see duke.]
    WaSP Accessibility Task Force Member
    splintered.co.uk | photographia.co.uk | redux.deviantart.com

I am obstructing justice. bronze trophy fatnewt's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    an excellent idea. i shall try that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can also use the media="all" attribute in your link tag. Netscape 4 doesn't understand this attribute, and will ignore the stylesheet. So if you have two external links, a simplified one, and a real one, with media="all" as an attribute, then it will achieve the same effect as redux posted.

Quote Originally Posted by redux
    i use a different approach to sitepoint. netscape 4 doesn't understand the @import CSS directive. so what i do is: have an external stylesheet with basic styles that work ok in n4, then have a style declaration after that which imports the "proper" stylesheets (with advanced CSS, in most cases redefining/overwriting the styles defined by the n4-friendly css). e.g.
    Code:
    <link rel="stylesheet" href="/common/basic.css" type="text/css" title="basic style" />
    <style type="text/css">
    @import url(/common/advanced.css); /* the proper styles for modern browsers */
    </style>