SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Hybrid View

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am thinking of redesigning my site and in so doing, I may actually use frames for the various pages, with the exception of the index page. To see what I mean, see a mock up of my site's new design at:
    http://www.geocities.com/trash25/access.htm

However, I heard that frames are bad for search engines' indexing and it is hard to get indexed if a site uses frames. May I have more information on this and may I enquire from any experts out there whether there will still be hopes of getting indexed if my site uses frames?

Thank you very much in advance.

valtay
    http://littlemall.net/index.ftml

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I dont think frames will make search engines fail to index you, but it will mean that only the main page of your site can be indexed, not the internal pages.
    But, I recommend avoiding frames at all wherever possible. I think there have been a few threads lately on why people don't like frames.
    You can use tables for most of the things you would normally use frames for...

Hope that helps!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Frames work great on search engines and allow you to include text targeted at the content of the site in the noframes tag, especially if the site is graphic intensive or Flash. Add text inside the NoFrames tag and the engines read it like any other page. You can also link to other pages as long as the link is in the noframes tag and spiders will follow them.

Frames do have some disadvantages ie. download speed through loading more pages, bookmarking individual pages and printing; but most of these can be worked around with a little HTML knowledge.

Try to include a link on each page which reestablishes the frame environment in case individual pages get ranked to allow visitors to use the site.
    Simon Conroy,
    PPC Bid Management and ROI Tracking Solutions
    www.BidBuddy.co.uk www.ROIstats.co.uk

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To both James and Simon, thank you very much for answering my queries. They do help a great deal.

valtay
    http://littlemall.net/index.ftml

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yea, i have a framed site, and the listing i saw was at my frameset page, so it's a must to include <NOFRAME>

But I don't think it treat frame and non-frame page differently (it can't see the whole frame, just the framesrc, inside NOFRAME tag)

But the people who visit the site might be the judge
    - Son Nguyen
    AdSpeed.com - Ad Serving and Ad Management Made Easy