SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Hybrid View

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi All

I was browsing around some stuff at searchengines.com today and stumbled across looksmart. Looksmart directories reach MSN, Excite, AltaVista, and CNN i guess (or something like that.)

It sounds like it would be a really good thing to get into. But, it costs money.

What I want to know is: Is it really worth the money? How many hits do you get from Excite AltaVista MSN and CNN because of it? How many hits do you get from looksmart.com?

Thanks a lot

Jim
    http://www.freejavahelp.com
    Making Java REALLY Easy
    Tutorials, Forums, and Articles

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In the last month I bought 4 listings. Its a bit too early to tell though because it takes time for all the partner sites to pick it up.

I would have to think even if it only gets like 10 hits a day its worth 200 bucks.
    http://www.trafficfind.com Traffic Find- link trading directory

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Figure out how much you earn on an average month and the # of visitors you get.

Subtract your monthly costs for operating the website and divide that by the # of visitors - now you have the value of an average visitor to your site. On my own sites, they're worth about .008 cents each so I bid on keywords at BRAINFOX.COM where I average at about .003 cents a visitor (yes, they allow tenths of a cent).

Brainfox has less traffic than looksmart or goto so you definitely need at least 100-200+ listings to see any real traffic, BUT, there's a great bonus for signing up-

They'll add 500% to your balance on top of your first deposit. IOW, I made a first deposit of $20 and had a starting balance of $120. The hits come slow but I'm not in it for the short term

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I added my site to looksmart few months ago. At first I only got 1 or 2 hits per week. but recently I am getting 10-20 per day. so I say in long run its worth it.
    note: Dont expect millions of hits from them
    Looking for webhosting?
    Complete review of hosting services, including dedicated and Cobalt Raqs.
    http://www.webhostingvillage.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Search around these threads and you'll find some quality comments on LookSmart.

It's all a matter of estimating your return on investment in determining if the fee is worth your while. For some it's a great deal. For others the money would be spent better elsewhere.

The problem with LookSmart is that LookSmart they get the award this year for Marketing Hype. They do not get the award for traffic generation.

People have used LookSmart's use of the word "reach" to equate to "use." And nothing could be farther from the truth.

LookSmart claims their 78% 'reach' through their affiliations with tons of ISP's and other organizations like Road Runner (Time Warner) who use LookSmart to power their personal engines. But how many folks out there use Road Runner or a similar search service to actually search the web?

Very very few people use LookSmart. When they partner with another engine their results are secondary except with the exception of possibly MSN, and even MSN appears to be applying it's own filter to the LookSmart data.

So, take what the folks at LookSmart say with a grain of salt. They were a poor performing directory before they came up with the $79 and $199 submission plan. Just because they now require payment for listing does not make them any better than they use to be.

IMHO
    Editor, J.K. Bowman
    Spider-Food.net

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If money is no object, go for it with Looksmart. But if you can only pick one promotion method of this sort, I'd go with GoTo.com's.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd have to agree with ya there. That is, as long as I was already listed with Yahoo.
    Editor, J.K. Bowman
    Spider-Food.net

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So, my question on looksmart and its affiliates is this:

You pay $199.00 to get your site reviewed. Now what happens to you? I mean that certainly doesn't guarantee that you'll be listed or possibly even worse, where you'll be listed. I mean you could still end up as the 144,000th site listed in your category and that would definately not be worth the money at all. So I was about to sign up for them tonight and start promoting but that has me concerned, I certainly dont want to pay them 199 to end up being listed on the 44th page of when someone searches for web hosting.

Bbox
    Large enough to host you - Small enough to care
    http://www.HostingBeacon.com
    email support@hostingbeacon.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think Looksmart still ranks according to some algorithm and not just a FIFO list. But you're right in that once you're in you can't fix your tags, conntent etc and resubmit.

Get use to it. I see pay-for-review as the way most of the big engines ans search sites will be going in the near future.
    Ocean View Host - Affordable web hosting plans for any business.
    Modern Technology, Old Fashioned Value & Service!
    U.S. Merchant Services - Reliable merchant account services for all business!
    Quality People Providing A Quality Service!