SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Photo Gallery suggestions

I'm a designer so I have a limited knowledge of php, but I do know that my host has disabled backticks operator (``), system(), exec(), passthru(), and dl() for security reasons. Does anyone have a suggestion of a photo gallery that doesn't use these? I've looked at a few, but I don't know how to tell if they use these.

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just checked photopost and it seems they use system() on every page

But 4images only uses system() once and only if you use ImageMagick for the thumbnail creation. I couldn't find the other commands inside the code, so it could be your answer to a gallery software

It's free: http://www.4homepages.de
    Julian D. Muņoz

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bram
    I'm a designer so I have a limited knowledge of php, but I do know that my host has disabled backticks operator (``), system(), exec(), passthru(), and dl() for security reasons. Does anyone have a suggestion of a photo gallery that doesn't use these? I've looked at a few, but I don't know how to tell if they use these.

Thanks
    Might be worth taking a look at http://sourceforge.net/projects/gallery/

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by peDey
    Might be worth taking a look at http://sourceforge.net/projects/gallery/
    This also needs exec for the netpbm binaries.
    Otherwise a fine script.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by R. U. Serious
    This also needs exec for the netpbm binaries.
    Otherwise a fine script.
    My mistake - I thought that because you don't need to install netpbm, the system doesn't require exec:

NetPBM is an image manipulation package that handles many, many file formats. It is very flexible and can be used to scale, rotate and convert images. Many systems will already have this installed. If not, you can get a binary distribution from the Gallery Download page. You don't need to be root to install it on your system; you can just put these files in your home directory.
    Taken from this page: http://gallery.menalto.com/modules.p...20Requirements

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So are you saying I'm screwd or keep looking?

chown linux:users\ /world Hartmann's Avatar
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Blake,

I wouldn't say you are screwed, you could ask fors someone to write one for you in the Trading Post. Or you could wait a while and I'll write one for you.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hartmann
    Blake,

I wouldn't say you are screwed, you could ask fors someone to write one for you in the Trading Post. Or you could wait a while and I'll write one for you.
    Ok! I don't need anything too elaborate. I have some pictures I took while in Italy, and I want to show them off. We can talk about it.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bram
    Ok! I don't need anything too elaborate. I have some pictures I took while in Italy, and I want to show them off. We can talk about it. [img]images/smilies/smash.gif[/img]
    This sounds rather static to me. Why don't you try a piece of (offline-)software which will generate the thumbnails and static html-pages. Some will also let you use templates for the pages.
    You would have to redo that process when you wanted to add pictures, but if you only change pictures once a year...

A script that doesn't use those calls will have big trouble generating your thumbnails. You would also need a version of PHP that has GD support compiled in...

Another option for something simple is the file I attached. You generate thumbnails offline. But the pages to show them are generated dynamically with PHP. YOu have to configure one path for the thumbnails, and one path for the real images, and further how many img per page you want. With this you can simply upload further images (ftp) and they will be shown directly.
    Attached Files Attached Files

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, so I want a little more than I indicated. I want users to also be able to upload images and create folders as well. And I'll be updating pics often, so a html generator w/ static pages is a waste of time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://www.hotscripts.com/Detailed/20855.html
    try that maybe.. an example of this script in action is at http://www.syncronize.co.uk/pics all you need to do is upload the pics in the same folder as this simple php script is in.. and everything is generated

the easy way out

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)