SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

He's No Good To Me Dead silver trophybronze trophy stymiee's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Question 2: Now loading screen

I have a flash movie that is about 25K in size. Should I bother to have a NOW LOADING screen while users wait for it to load? Or is that file small enough that I would be better off not having one and keeping the file size to a minimum?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey again

Probably not... 25k is on the limit though for dial up... and you may want to have some feedback if the 25k movie is loading in other gear.

I find telling the visitor something about the site/app or yourself is more beneficial than "Loading". For instance, I say what I do (to compare with my title tag or search engine listing) rather than what's happening on my site.
    A little step towards Flash accessibility... I think general users are still shy of "loading" text in Flash because of the old 450kb loading times we went thru.

HTH
    James

Quote Originally Posted by stymiee
    I have a flash movie that is about 25K in size. Should I bother to have a NOW LOADING screen while users wait for it to load? Or is that file small enough that I would be better off not having one and keeping the file size to a minimum?

He's No Good To Me Dead silver trophybronze trophy stymiee's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thanks again!

You mention feedback in two of your responces. I have not read about feedback yet in my short and hurried flash training. I surmise it has to do with some kind of info that is somehow relayed to the user. Could you perhaps elaborate on it so I can read up on it. Sounds like it is something I should be more aware of.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sure..

Feedback is really anything you can give to a user to tell them something is happening. It can be graphical, sound, text etc.
    For instance when an HTML site loads up all kinds of things are happening - text is appearing, image placeholders, status bar etc
    So when a Flash site is loading up we need something more than maybe "loading..." appearing - you could either have some text saying what is loading, what you do, what the site does, give them something small in kb to play with - all depends on the target audience.

Using the bandwidth profiler in Flash can really help, for instance set it to 56k and you'll see how a sit loads up at 2.3kbps, how many frames are in the preload etc. By 'ramping' your content - spreading some of the content over the first few frames - it is possible to get a smooth load up at the start.

A blank screen can signify many things - not all of them positive - something's broken, not another Flash site, my PC's hanged etc etc!

HTH
    James

Quote Originally Posted by stymiee
    Thanks again!

You mention feedback in two of your responces. I have not read about feedback yet in my short and hurried flash training. I surmise it has to do with some kind of info that is somehow relayed to the user. Could you perhaps elaborate on it so I can read up on it. Sounds like it is something I should be more aware of.