SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

He's No Good To Me Dead silver trophybronze trophy stymiee's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Question 1: What version to publish in?

I am about ready to publish my first flash movie but I am not sure what version I should publish it in. I built it in 6 (MX) but I am 99.9% sure I don't use anything MX specific. Should I publish the swf file as version 5 to make sure I reach everyone who has either the version 5 or 6 player? Or should I assume most users will have the version 6 player?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey
    A lot depends on your audience.

If you are absolutely sure you didn't use anything Flash Player 6 specific in it, publish for FP5.
    Change the codebase attribute to 5,0,0,0 etc - you may even want to do a version check in Flash and have a little upgrade message for those with v5 (a new FP is available for download...)

MM state that FP6 has had the fastest take up rate of any Flash PLayer - it's about 75-80% usage at the mo I'd say.

Fp6 has some awesome goodies, so it may be good to follow the above route and slowly migrate as v6 usage grows.

Cheers
    James

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the answers!

After the further review, I do use some v6 features so publishing for a v5 viewer isn't happening. So I guess my next questions is, how can I detect the version a user has and respond appropriately (i.e. send them the file or something else)?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Flash detection is a biggy.

The easiest way, and most user abusive way, is to use the codebase tag in HTML.
    codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=6,0,21,0
    use 6,0,21,0 as that was I think the first FP6 player.

IE for Win browsers will try and download the latest Active X control from MM. Mozilla and others will render what is between the OBJECT tags (most often a Netscape only EMBED tag).
    ...see the Flash Satay article at ALA for more on this, as Mozilla and Opera 7 do support OBJECT and exist happily without EMBED.
    http://www.alistapart.com/stories/flashsatay/
    Ie for Win, paradoxically, has the most trouble with OBJECT!

The next option is to use client side scripting - javascript for all browsers not IE for WIN, vbscript for IE WIN.
    MM's Flash Dispatcher does this, as does the moock.org Moock FPI.
    You can redirect if FP5 or less is installed.

- in vbscript "checkForFlash6 = IsObject(CreateObject("ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash.6"))" will return false if FP6 is not installed.
    - in js traverse the navigator.plugins array and check for Shockwave Flash...
    Then make an array out of what is found e.g
    [0]Shockwave [1]Flash [2]6.0 [3]r21
    array[2] will then hold the version number...

You can also bite the bullet and detect the Flash version in the Flash movie using getVersion() or _root.$version
    This won't be helpful to users with FP3 or less (hopefully getting smaller) as it was introduced in Fp4.0r11 (fp5 for getVersion());

HTH
    James

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by webQS
    http://www.alistapart.com/stories/flashsatay/

- in vbscript "checkForFlash6 = IsObject(CreateObject("ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash.6"))" will return false if FP6 is not installed.
    - in js traverse the navigator.plugins array and check for Shockwave Flash...
    Then make an array out of what is found e.g
    [0]Shockwave [1]Flash [2]6.0 [3]r21
    array[2] will then hold the version number...
    That first link is priceless. A great help really. Spawned many ideas and was certainly a point in a great direction. What I may do, at least until come with a scheme to detect flash versions that works for me, is use my flash movie as is and embed the same poll as the movie but in text format. That way they can still participate, it just won't look as cool!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bear in mind that the Flash Satay method has some issues with certain corrupted versions of the Flash ActiveX control, apparently.
    A small number of users will see a textarea like box instead of your movie, It seems to happen with IE5.5 but is random - some IE5.5 users don't have the prob, some do...

There's heaps of talk in the disuss link to that article.

HTH
    James

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by webQS
    Bear in mind that the Flash Satay method has some issues with certain corrupted versions of the Flash ActiveX control, apparently.
    A small number of users will see a textarea like box instead of your movie, It seems to happen with IE5.5 but is random - some IE5.5 users don't have the prob, some do...

There's heaps of talk in the disuss link to that article.

HTH
    James
    Since I use PHP on my site, I was going to detect the browser version then send either javascript or vbscript to detect the plugin. That code would then decide what to display and as a backup I would display a text version of the poll. Sound like a good plan?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I found some good code that uses either JavaScript or VBScript, depending on the browser, to detect what version of flash a browser is using. Figured I'd share if anyone else was interested.

Here's the link: http://www.xs4all.nl/~ppk/js/flash.html

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You don't really need to worry about browser detection for this..

IE for windows will ignore the Javascript detection if you enclose it with this
    //check the array exists, IE for win will fail on this.
    if(navigator.plugins.length)

All other browsers (mac win, linux) will ignore any script that starts
    <script type="text/vbscript"> //xhtml
    or
    <script language="vbscript"> //(html4.0)
    as it's only supported by IE for Windows.

IE4.5 for the mac will apparently try to render the vbscript but that's a browser like NN4 - a user base that doesn't really figure any more.

If you find that no flash is available at all then document.write the poll out as suggested!

You can also detect version information within Flash... getVersion();

Cheers
    James