SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

NN4x problems with cells

Why can't I get a cell to expand to fit the contents in NN4x? I didn't set any width and that seems to work in IE and NN7 but in NN4x it spills over to the next cell. Any suggestions???

<TABLE BORDER="0" CELLSPACING="2" CELLPADDING="2" WIDTH="100%" HEIGHT="100%" ALIGN="LEFT">
    <TR>
    <TD class="sidelinks" " HEIGHT="500" ALIGN="left" VALIGN="TOP">

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Specify 100% for your width if that's the only cell in the row. You may also need to use spacer gifs (transparent 1px by 1px gifs ) if you don't have enough content to fit the cell width.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had the same sort of issues with NN4.x - My solution was not to develop for Nav 4 anymore. It has many things going against - lack of proper CSS support is one major thing.. such that simple layout tables can now be converted to divs etc, leaving the layout to CSS, not the internal quirks of a browser.

Others are
    - It's a 5 year old browser that isn't standards compliant and doesn't rank above the 1% mark in usage.
    In the end, I decided it's not worth the effort - there's less time spent in the user upgrading than me developing for it's quirks.
    I now develop for standards compliant browsers - Mozilla, Opera 7, IE5 for Mac, Safari?, and IE6 for win. As zeldman says "to hell with bad browsers".

HTH
    James

Quote Originally Posted by jerrynyc
    Why can't I get a cell to expand to fit the contents in NN4x? I didn't set any width and that seems to work in IE and NN7 but in NN4x it spills over to the next cell. Any suggestions???

Prolific Blogger silver trophy Technosailor's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    wow....it's been many months since I have seen a NN4 question.
    Aaron Brazell
    Technosailor

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by webQS
    I had the same sort of issues with NN4.x - My solution was not to develop for Nav 4 anymore. It has many things going against - lack of proper CSS support is one major thing.. such that simple layout tables can now be converted to divs etc, leaving the layout to CSS, not the internal quirks of a browser.

Others are
    - It's a 5 year old browser that isn't standards compliant and doesn't rank above the 1% mark in usage.
    In the end, I decided it's not worth the effort - there's less time spent in the user upgrading than me developing for it's quirks.
    I now develop for standards compliant browsers - Mozilla, Opera 7, IE5 for Mac, Safari?, and IE6 for win. As zeldman says "to hell with bad browsers".

HTH
    James
    IT's not the only cell in the row. There is content to fill the cell but it keeps spilling out. I could use a spacer gif but that sets a specific size. I would like it to expand or shrink depending on how the user sets the text size in the browser.