User Tag List

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New PHP5 web site

Hi all!
    After the article I wrote on PHP5 and the new features I have made [link removed] to a site dedicated to PHP5 and the new features that are comming up with that release.

We are working on a PHP5 class library, but this is still a few days from release, but I have updated the article on PHP5 and you can find it here: [link removed]
    Hopefully this can be a site with a lot of information on what's happening with the new version of PHP and where PHP is going.

Trickie has also a Zend engine tutorial series going on there, so check that out as well!

NuCleuZ
    Last edited by TheOriginalH; Mar 31, 2003 at 04:55.

SitePoint Wizard gold trophysilver trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In a word: Awesome

I believe Wrox had plans to publish a book on PHP 5, which I guess has been shot down now. A resource which is geared to PHP5 is a great idea.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks!
    We have about 20 classes in the work and more to come, and also a forum to be set up soon, so we hope that this can become a decent resource fot PHP5!
    And yes: Wrox is dead now, so they won't come out with a book....

Any ideas and suggestions are welcome!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    May be one thing to do is get in touch with some of the PHP5 dev team (perhaps Sterling Hughes) - as far as their exception handling goes for example, would be interesting to find out what they'll be providing "off the shelf". Could be theres room for some Java-like exception classes as part of your library - if all works out these could be bundled with PHP5...

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That would be nice:
    I'll see what I can do, right now I have to finish the base classes for the library and have that as a example of real code implementation in PHP5.
    And yes: there are some base Exception classes in the library

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another idea - this came up here: http://php.weblogs.com/discuss/msgReader$2477?mode=day

Put together classes like the Java library which sit on top of the PHP function library and use the overload extension to do the work...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Cool, great idea. I've been doing a lot of work as of late into PHP5 objects, will there be somewhere people like me can add code/ideas?

As the name suggests... trickie's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DJ P@CkMaN
    Cool, great idea. I've been doing a lot of work as of late into PHP5 objects, will there be somewhere people like me can add code/ideas?
    Yep check out the forum!

Any suggestions for tutes on the zend engine are welcome. I hope to set up a small weekly section discussing some of the macros and object model.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    will there be somewhere people like me can add code/ideas?
    I second that motion !

I don't know how much time you've got or are willing to spend on this but if you want to go the distance...

One thing some people like to say about PHP is it needs a "front person", like Perl and Python, how has the final say in where it's going. Personally I disagree - the input of many has alot to do with PHP's success IMO. The trouble with democracy though is everyone has their own interpretation.

But where there definately is room for someone to take control is in developing a solid class library which needs someone acting as the guiding force.

How about this - set up a site which is similar to DMOZ.org but is geared to creating PHP class library?

The "master" sets general guidelines as to how code should be designed, conventions to use, making sure documentation and unit tests are available etc and does their best to enforce this everywhere.

Other developers can apply to be "owners" of a particular "node" of the library, giving them permissions to control everything that happens below their node (including accepting applications for further "node owners").

Setting up the site may not even be much work - if you check out DDDA (database driven documentation architecture) http://www.aditus.nu/jpgraph/DDDA/, a PHP/MySQL project from the developers of JpGraph (http://www.aditus.nu/jpgraph/) this may be the foundation to build the site on.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I posted in the PHP Volcano forums to your thread tricky.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah; I have thought about the ability to share code and experience more than just through the forum.
    One thing I thought about was the discussion in the forum on a new namespace/class and that after a process where the coder has come up with the plan for the class gets the "OK" and goes ahead and implement the code. That way we could have a community process with the design of the code before any implementation was done. (java has this community process, but at a much higher level)

Right now I'll digg more into the possibility of creating a CMS that drives the class library, I don't want this to be a library that is just thrown together. A bit more planning needs done, and If I have to I'll go and create a CMS for it very soon if someone can't come up with a good link to a system that will do this
    (Harry: I'll check out the DDDA, looks nice!)

I'll go over to the site and create a new forum that will discuss possible namespaces/classes.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy TheOriginalH's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry to kill the party a little, but this thread infringes our guidelines on self-promotion. I'm leaving the thread in place, the site can be found in the posters signature.

Please remember that self-promotion and linking to personal sites in posts is not permitted at all in these forums, no matter how well-intentioned the site.

This policy ensures that the forums remain relatively spam-free, adding to everyones enjoyment
    Last edited by TheOriginalH; Mar 31, 2003 at 05:01.
    ~The Artist Latterly Known as Crazy Hamster~
    922ee590a26bd62eb9b33cf2877a00df
    Currently delving into Django, GIT & CentOS

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Point taken
    Just got carried away by the moment

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very nice site! I just read some pages yesterday, and I will finish the reading today Thanks.
    Julian D. Muņoz

As the name suggests... trickie's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOriginalH
    Sorry to kill the party a little, but this thread infringes our guidelines on self-promotion. I'm leaving the thread in place, the site can be found in the posters signature.

Please remember that self-promotion and linking to personal sites in posts is not permitted at all in these forums, no matter how well-intentioned the site.

This policy ensures that the forums remain relatively spam-free, adding to everyones enjoyment

Sorry about that! Won't happen again.