User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I Hate Dell!!! Do You?

I have had my issues with Dell Computers for a long time. I ran across this the other night. http://www.ihatedell.net
    Nothing fancy, just a forum with some humorous postings about Dell.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dell win alot of awards for customer service and stuff like that, plus they are the fastest growing and biggest PC (plus server?) retailer around, so they must be doing something right.

However considering their size there will always be those who are un-happy with them.

A relative of mine had a problem with them when she tried to order a PC though...

She saw an advert in the newspaper for a decent looking machine with about 250 off the usual price and decided to order. At this point the offer had about a week left to run.

She phoned up and couldn't get through, so decided to try later. When she called later she spoke to someone but after saying she wanted to order a pc and quoted the offer number got cut off, she assumed it was a technical problem. This then happened a second time, although she was getting pretty annoyed at this point she thought she'd try again. This time she was told that the offer had ended, when she pointed out that the advert indicated there was a week left to go she was told that it was actually there were supply problems due to demand. Her details were taken and she was told that someone would contact her as soon as possible. A week later and no-one had called.

At this point she had given up and emailed DELL to complain. Nearly 2 weeks later there has been no-response, and she has bought a PC from a local firm.

I was a little surprised, as companies are normally happy to take your money, just not to resolve problems when they have it!

ZOO
    Rick

Serial Publisher silver trophy aspen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How did you run across that site, it looks brand new and isn't in Google yet for one. It also only has 5 registered members?

I cannot prove that you own that site, which would make your post spam, but I have my suspicions.

As for hating Dell, I love Dell. Cheap, Good, Fast, whats not to like?
    Chris Beasley - I publish content and ecommerce sites.
    Featured Article: Free Comprehensive SEO Guide
    My Guide to Building a Successful Website
    My Blog|My Webmaster Forums

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I work at dell and someone emailed me the link in a mass emailing at work.
    That person no longer works there and from what I understand it just went up Friday.

Quote Originally Posted by aspen
    How did you run across that site, it looks brand new and isn't in Google yet for one. It also only has 5 registered members?

I cannot prove that you own that site, which would make your post spam, but I have my suspicions.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    *gee*
    Dell rules.

Ex-SitePointer silver trophy
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't like Dell.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have purchased several servers and home computers from Dell and never had a problem. Just lucky I guess.
    Richard @ www.e3servers.com
    Multiple Domain Hosting & Web Hosting (Unlimited Domains)
    Reseller Hosting -- 30-Day Money Back Guarantee

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All my experiences with Dell have been positive.

I don't like Compaq.

-Colin
    Colin Anderson
    Ambition is a poor excuse for those without
    sense enough to be lazy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with Colin. I don't like Compaq..... proprietary crap.

Making a better wheel silver trophy DR_LaRRY_PEpPeR's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yep, Compaq and HP suck. Dell is about the only prebuilt system (read: laptop) that i'd buy.
    - Matt ** Ignore old signature for now... **
    Dr.BB - Highly optimized to be 2-3x faster than the "Big 3."
    "Do not enclose numeric values in quotes -- that is very non-standard and will only work on MySQL." - MattR

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Speaking as a network manager having to deal with workstation issues every day . I can say that where I buying a PC it would be from Dell. Why?

The support is second to none.
    I can retreive drivers for every operating system for PC's which are 8 years old any time I want. 486, p75's its all there.

I repair home user pc's for extra bucks to pay for my climbing trips many people who have bought from small outfits whit generic hardware are never given the driver disks, tracking down the drivers can be a real pain sometimes. If it's a Dell i I simply go to the support site type in the serial number of the PC and you have the drivers for every operating system that the PC was ever supplied with.

Dell? way to go

AndyD

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aspen
    Unlike Compaq/HP, they do not do any research and development of their own and solely compete on price. The price breaks are nice, but they really give nothing else back to the industry.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yup, Vinnie. They're a retailer. I don't think thats so bad. Also I think that making PCs affordable so everyone can have one is definitely giving back to the industry.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dell is the best all-around computer-maker, IMO. My main desktop is a Dimension 8100 and it has not crashed or had a single problem in three years.

Wanna-be Apple nut silver trophy M. Johansson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've never really used a dell, but the laptops I've seen "over the shoulder" are pretty impressive. I really hate HP, though.
    Mattias Johansson
    Short, Swedish, Web Developer

Buttons and Dog Tags with your custom design:
    FatStatement.com

Ex-SitePointer silver trophy
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since people are bringing the thread offtopic by saying they don't like HP/Compaq, I might as well say I do. Been using them for years and I like them a lot.

Wanna-be Apple nut silver trophy M. Johansson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My main gripe with them being bloated drivers and incredibly expensive cartridges for my printer.
    Mattias Johansson
    Short, Swedish, Web Developer

Buttons and Dog Tags with your custom design:
    FatStatement.com

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love Dell! I have a laptop from them and will be buying a new desktop in the next few weeks.

Never had any problems with them!

P.S. As far as that ihatedell web site, you'd have better luck advertising it somewhere else.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy TheOriginalH's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very sad of me to jump on the bandwagon, but I too hate HP/Compaq.

From bitter personal experience - my first "pre-built" new PC was from Compaq. I spent over 18 hours on the phone to them trying to get the RTB warranty actioned, while they jacked me around telling me it was a software issue. When all avenues had been explored, and they finally conceded that it probably was a hardware issue, they refused to collect it saying they no-longer supported the model (despite the fact I was only 2-3 months into my year warranty). I considered court action but eventually gave up and have since cost them a damn site more than the PC by advising people who are considering them of my experiences.

Oh, and the proprietory set-up/lack of upgradability in their systems suck too .

I have owned three HP printers and had issues with every one of them. Given that the two have now "merged", they will never enjoy my custom or that of anyone I advise.
    ~The Artist Latterly Known as Crazy Hamster~
    922ee590a26bd62eb9b33cf2877a00df
    Currently delving into Django, GIT & CentOS

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy redemption's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dell does seem to respond slowly to emails. But a call to the local Dell help centre got my problem fixed the next day. Plus, I really like their support site with customised downloads and drivers for my specific machine. Nothing to hate really, for me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by M. Johansson
    My main gripe with them being bloated drivers and incredibly expensive cartridges for my printer.
    Too right! I ended up buying a new printer (not a HP one though) the last I went for a Laserjet cartridge and cartridges for my HP deskjet (It worked out quite a bit cheaper and its better quality too )
    Rick

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

dell dood and interns

when i saw the "dell dood" i knew there was no way i'd give them any money. then they throw the annoying intern campaign at me. based on their advertising alone they can kiss my ***.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i love my dell

$270 after rebate

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldn't have a problem with Dell if they sold AMDs, and if they didn't have shady businuess

IE, you get the extended warranty, you get the high-quality hard drive...you get the basic warranty, you get the $hit hard drive...And they don't tell you that. My dad only found out because he had to work on 2 dells and did a hard drive scan on both of them...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love Dell. Every machine at our office (except the Macs for graphics & A/V guys) are Dells and we have very few problems with them. (We probably have 60 or more of them.) I have a fairly new Dell with dual monitors and I NEVER have to do anything but defrag and run basic maintenance utils.

I just bought a brand new Dell about two months ago and I LOVE it. It's fast, got tons of features, I have NO problems with it, and it cost less than a comparable HP/COMPAQ system would.

Also, I spent a year in PC sales for a "big box" retailer (which I HATED doing, but ya gotta pay the bills...) and we constantly had problems with HP and Compaq. Customers were always unhappy. Even the eMachines had fewer problems, it seemed. Sony makes a pretty good machine. They were always reliable and feature packed, but they were too expensive. And don't even get me started on Gateway... Dell rules, hands-down. (And last I heard, they were the only computer manufacturer that's turning a profit. That could be very outdated, though, so don't quote me...)