SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Website review needed (Cleaning business)

I am in a process of redesigning the site and transferring it over to wordpress. Please vote DESIGN 1 or DESIGN 2?

DESIGN 1 - http://www.bahousecleaning.com/
    DESIGN 2 - http://www.bahousecleaning.com/bahousecleaning/
    And why?

Any input/critique/opinions or suggestions are greatly appreciated!
    Thanks!

SitePoint Addict bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bahousecleaning,

I like design number 2 by far. Design one is “ok” but it lacks a lot of detailed design elements like shadows and contrasting fonts that the other design has a lot of. The menu in design two is also much more clean and not so busy whereas design one there is a lot going on (I would say too much) with the menu.

The type of font you have as well as the contrasting colors make it look like there is less text on the page in design two which is nice. Too much text (or the appearance of too much text) can cause users anxiety and they most likely will not read it.

You have a good start with design two but I think it still needs some tweaks to be really effective. Here are some of my suggestions.
    What is the little arrow at the top of the screen? When I click it something drops down but there is no content. You might want to get rid of it if it has no purpose.

Most of your content is below the fold of the page and this is not working well for you. Get rid of the blue banner that runs across the top (the one that has your logo and menu in it). Make your logo slightly smaller and keep it up where it is in the top left corner. Make just enough space between your header banner and the top of the screen for your logo. You could still keep your main navigation next to your logo or widen it a bit and place it underneath the header banner (either would look fine I think).

Remove your bread crumbs from the home page. Bread crumbs are not necessary on the home page.

Here are some other tips on web design conventions,

http://netaccountant.net/website-des...n-conventions/

Hope those suggestions help and nice work,

Shawn

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by smanaher View Post
    Bahousecleaning,

I like design number 2 by far. Design one is “ok” but it lacks a lot of detailed design elements like shadows and contrasting fonts that the other design has a lot of. The menu in design two is also much more clean and not so busy whereas design one there is a lot going on (I would say too much) with the menu.

The type of font you have as well as the contrasting colors make it look like there is less text on the page in design two which is nice. Too much text (or the appearance of too much text) can cause users anxiety and they most likely will not read it.

You have a good start with design two but I think it still needs some tweaks to be really effective. Here are some of my suggestions.
    What is the little arrow at the top of the screen? When I click it something drops down but there is no content. You might want to get rid of it if it has no purpose.

Most of your content is below the fold of the page and this is not working well for you. Get rid of the blue banner that runs across the top (the one that has your logo and menu in it). Make your logo slightly smaller and keep it up where it is in the top left corner. Make just enough space between your header banner and the top of the screen for your logo. You could still keep your main navigation next to your logo or widen it a bit and place it underneath the header banner (either would look fine I think).

Remove your bread crumbs from the home page. Bread crumbs are not necessary on the home page.

Here are some other tips on web design conventions,

http://netaccountant.net/website-des...n-conventions/

Hope those suggestions help and nice work,

Shawn
    thanks so much Shawn! Great tips. I really appreciate it!

Anyone else?

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    are you working on both sites because they both have errors. site 1: Apologies, but no results were found. Site 2: Error 404.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, design2 won`t display, i guess you implemented the one you like already. You need some contrast between logo and background there - the logo / brand has to stand out, and in the banners those glossy text effects look DATED and unprofessional, Use normal text, no gloss effect.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Design 2 not working.

The first design is nice, but that slide you have on the home page needs to blend in nicely with the body background. Add a nice modern frame/border to it.

Also, maybe use some Cufon fonts to your large h1/h2 fonts.
    Here's a tutorial I found that may help: http://toddmotto.com/how-to-easily-u...t-replacement/
    Talk Jesus Forums [ Father's Love Letter ]
    LogicWeb...a smart web solution [ managed hosting since 2004 ]

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    overall a very 'clean' and professional looking website, one thing i have to criticise though is the font on the slides make the rest of the website look...cheap? i guess is the word? just change the slides, or at least the fonts, and there needs to be a bit more padding under the phone number it doest look to good plonked right at the bottom there. Other than that the whole site looks great and very user friendly! just work on the slides, tidy them up and it will look so much better, try nivo slider? i think it would look very neat on your website

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bahousecleaning View Post
    I am in a process of redesigning the site and transferring it over to wordpress. Please vote DESIGN 1 or DESIGN 2?

And why?

Thanks!
    Heya, Design 2 is not working. It says "Directory has no index file.". And Design 1 is Good. Of course you can make the sharp Edges of banner curved. It will look more good.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bahousecleaning View Post

And why?

Thanks!
    The design looks great, the only problem is the slider photos it seems like the font and photos are stretched out, if only it has the right resolution then its gonna be awesome and one more thing ifyou use the same font on the theme then your good to go.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A border would be nice. Also I would like the width to be little lesser . Everything other is great.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Design 2 link is currently throwing errors, please fix.

"Directory has no index file."

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Same issues with loading site 1. For site 2 though I felt the opening splash on the home page was slightly too big, and I'm also not sure about the use of stock images here. It would be great if you had branded images of real employees, just to personalise the look and feel of the site.

The navigation is also a little full, with lots of options under each section. This isn't necessarily a problem, but simplicity is sometimes better. Overall, the content is good, the site delivers on its promise, I just think the design could be refined a little (shrinking the main scrolling images and removing any stock photos) and you will be there.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can't load site 1. For site 2:

Use the same sans serif fonts in the slider as you have in the rest of the site. Site is slow. Slider not necessarily needed on inside pages – only on home page imo.

Testimonials page needs a sidebar or something as it's better to never have text running the full width of a site. Photos and videos much better with testimonials. imo.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the layout and color scheme for design 1, but design 2 didn't show up. I didn't care for the fonts used on the image scroller, but it wouldn't be a deal breaker for someone looking for a cleaning service. It's a lot nicer than most cleaning services that I have checked out in the past.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The design 1 is nice and clean, but the other one isn't showing up. Overall, you have done a great job!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Website review

The overall website looks nice.. the usage of blue is good... can you try to adjust navigation menus in middle of the header and see how it looks... also for search box it will be better if you can avoid popup... just to focus on more usability

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The first one is quite nice and clear, but the second - "403 Forbidden". So I vote for first

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can see only the first one.. Site#2 is "Forbidden"
    Anyways, the first one looks good. I like the color.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wasn't able to open Design 2, so no rating for that, sorry !!

Design 1 is having great design and formatting. In menu links, if you could add an arrow (v) that would be more catchy.

Good luck..
    Expand Your Business Opportunities !!
    http://www.zubera.co.in
    Solution to grow your business faster ...
    http://www.zuberacorp.info

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Design #1 is clean and clear!! right color combination.

I can't say something about design #2 as it shows 403 forbidden

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Design 2 does not open and gives error page.

Design 1 lacks a punch of wow factor and looks very basic. Following are some improvement suggestions:

1- The main menu navigation area at the top has lot of blank space, this should be covered with effective use of font size and style, also the telephone number should be highlighted like the one you see here http://www.primeyachtingsey.com/
    2- The banner should have some kind of styling in border or shading, the use of banner text font and images should be more professional and appealing.
    3- Call to action text lines like "Are you interested......" should be placed using small banners.