SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How do you "replace" colors in Photoshop?

Ever since I "upgraded" years ago to Photoshop from Paint Shop Pro, "easy" things became really "hard". Now I'm very frustrated. How do you replace every instance of one color with another color in photoshop?

This used to be so easy with Paintshop pro...one button..I cannot for the life of me find it in PS/.

Thank you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Use the color picker to get the color you want to change, then go to image / adjustments / replace color. "Fuzziness" is basically your threshold / tolerance... you'll see what areas of the image will be affected as you drag the slider.

Then just drag the sliders at the bottom to find the right hue, saturation, and lightness until you've got the color you want. I think the effect actually works better than it did in PSP.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks..yah, still find it tough..in those days there wasn't too much "shading"...this is too confusing to me...gotta stick to easy stuff, like programming

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy redemption's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Was looking for the answer to that too. Thanks for asking

Quote Originally Posted by dwh
    this is too confusing to me...gotta stick to easy stuff, like programming [img]images/smilies/wink.gif[/img]
    My feelings exactly.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks..yah, still find it tough..in those days there wasn't too much "shading"...this is too confusing to me...gotta stick to easy stuff, like programming [img]images/smilies/wink.gif[/img]
    Did it help at all? Tell ya what. I'm trying to write some tutorials for my site. If you want to send the image you're trying fix, along with the hex color you're trying to change and the color you want to change it to, I'll do it and then possibly use the steps as a tutorial, unless I find the pic offensive or unless it doesn't belong to you.

Deal?

I personally don't have much trouble with simple graphics problems or with simple programming. You know they say people are right brained or left brained, well, I think I'm both. My problem is that my hemispheres have to share the power. Anything TOO complicated in either direction can baffle me.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually I found the command before you posted it (after downloading PSP trial and finding it got much harder). I just redid the image from scratch, but thanks anyways!

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, I'm trying this again, but I'm confused, how do you set the color you want to change from and how do you set the color you want to change to?

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey, I figured it out!!! This is SOOOO COOOOLLLL....it worked it worked it worked!!!

So now I get it, you need to look at the color values of the main color and write it down, then look at the main color you want to change it to and write it down and then change the RELATIVE value so that it matches where you want it to go...then you want to work with the Plus Minus dropped to add or not include certain colors within the image and it works on all the colors not just the ONE in the pallette...beautiful!

I wish they had made it more intuitive but it works great.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey, I figured it out!!! This is SOOOO COOOOLLLL....

I wish they had made it more intuitive but it works great.
    It does, doesn't it? And that's the thing about photoshop, it isn't as intuitive but once you learn it you can do alot more.

You can just pick colors up from the picture rather than just writing them down, and also you've got your fuzziness control so it'll relatively change the colors that are near your picker colors. And of course you can use all that on just a selection as well. Its very handy..

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yup.

My ex-girlfriend used to be a photoshop instructor. She didn't teach me too much but what I learned helped. Then she took a course in something that required some programming and said that was hard. I laughed and said if she can become a photoshop teacher she can learn anything.