User Tag List

Hybrid View

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looking for design feedback/advice for portfolio site

I'm trying to merge 2 sites I've had in the past into a new 3rd site to use as a portfolio, but before transferring the content I need to get my design and layout in order.

So far I've come up with a layout I'm somewhat happy with, but I could use outside eyes to give me other perspectives, I'm creative but suck artistically. I haven't made a banner or logo yet, simply have placeholders for both. Same with the footer, I haven't felt inspired by anything yet so it's just a boring white.

So the way I decided to break it up was to use thumbnails with descriptions for each item which load that information's main page where they can read more about it. Basically they are different projects I've been working on.

I made the first 3 pages of the new site, but the links all lead to my old site so I'm just looking for feedback on the design rather than content.

The new site is http://LeeFromSeattle.com/projects.html as well as /tutorials.html and gallery.html On the projects page when you hover over the top left div and the bottom left div it shows/hides an animated sprite.

I just made the gallery yesterday so would like feedback on it, it's just javascript, some of the images are repeats, and the panel on the right will be to show different categories, the current buttons were to test functions I made to clear all the images, a section of images, or draw a section of imgs.

Now for my online resume part, I put my non personal resume info into a menu similar to a game, because I'm trying to get a job as a front end game dev, so figured I'd style my stuff as I would if I was making a game.

The website for the resume menu is just http://LeeFromSeattle.com with no extensions. Do you think that's a good way to display my information?

Ignore all the moving sprites that was just for a test, I might add that to it's own page to show off my sprite generator and the javascript I animate them with, but I was planning on making that into a tutorial when I have time.

Any advice from a design perspective?
    Thank you.

SitePoint Enthusiast jacksarloks's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The website is to whom? You have a lot of links on your website, at the top I recommend having a banner/header image and put words in it to explain what site is and to whom it's intended for - the main benefits of the site.
    No B.S. SEO Crash Course >> http://www.nobsseocrashcourse.com

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jacksarloks View Post
    The website is to whom? You have a lot of links on your website, at the top I recommend having a banner/header image and put words in it to explain what site is and to whom it's intended for - the main benefits of the site.
    Yeah, part of it is just a portfolio, part will be for app buyers once I finish them up with links to app stores and rundown/gameplay videos/descriptions, another section is for tutorials, there are just 3 at the moment but I was going to make more, soon. I also wanted to target people interested in making games, maybe as part of the tutorial section with links and tutorials to get started.

But generally speaking I was just looking for design ideas. There's a lot of white space. I haven't been inspired by any banners yet so might just go with a picture. I was going to do <hr /> horizontal rule below each headings on each thumbnail/description of each project.

When you hover over the different divs it changes the background dark and text white, anything else I should add? I only have a 15" monitor, if you have a wider one, does it turn crappy somehow? I think I limited the max width so it wouldn't screw it up, but maybe I didn't move everything right?

Thanks, I should probably break down who it's targeted at and direct each to that section directly. Maybe a landing page for tutorials, landing page for apps, landing page for portfolio...

I was also considering making a blog with those "card" shaped divs...I don't really need comments and I could just add a new div each time I want to post. Do they look clean, if you were to scroll down a page with 25 of them would you be able to absorb the different sections?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The top banner and navigation section needs a good amount of work

Not sure if the boxes are products that someone can purchase or information

But I like the portion where the elephant comes over and the page opens up
    Might be cool for the age group you are targeting

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Handdy.com View Post
    The top banner and navigation section needs a good amount of work

Not sure if the boxes are products that someone can purchase or information

But I like the portion where the elephant comes over and the page opens up
    Might be cool for the age group you are targeting
    Thanks, there are 3 different divs on the projects.html where hovering over makes an animated sprite, the elephant one on the top left, the javascript div makes a dragon, and the bottom left one makes the skeleton in the image above your cursor. Just simple javascript I put together. I actually just got my first dev job this week using javascript and C#.

Thanks for the feedback. Still havent had time to work on the banner this week.
    The projects pictured are different mobile games I'm making but they're at various stages of finished. The first one to be done will be a childrens animal game where they tame animals and learn information about them.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not sure about the design. You need a logo.
    A lot of work as to be done.

You should work a little bit more and post again.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    lol I already got a job from it so haven't been thinking about it. I had brain surgery a week ago so have other things on my mind atm

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can understand, take care and good luck.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi. I like your site, it's fun! I just have a few small suggestions, I hope you find them helpful.

The breadcrumb trail looks very different from the rest of the site — you could try to make it look more integrated, in terms of style.

Everything looks a bit squished. You could try bigger margins or padding on top and bottom, on almost everything.

Use smaller font sizes strategically in more places (like your footer, and the tags list) — still readable, but de-emphasized.

Good luck!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't want to judge your work but in my opinion, your website seems old and not professional. The design seems to be not finished.