SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Template Suppliers : The good/The bad/ The ugly?

There seem to be an awful lot of sites out there offering website/page templates for sale. And it looks like a great way to speed things up for someone like me (engineer with a book on photoshop)
    Especially when the templates have been designed by people who have great imagination and aesthetic understanding. I find I can manipulate photoshop images etc but really I don't have the designers touch...

Anyway, I was wondering if we could share experiences of dealings with template vendors? I'm sure there are crap ones out there as well as great ones. And I'm sure there are things we should be looking for in template packages that some people might not think to ask about.

So, anyone got any advice, experience, war stories, in this area?

Thanks
    Peej

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Peej I think you and I are on the same boat. I'm not creative enough to sit down and design some of the gr8 templates you see on these sites but I could duplicate them once I've seen them. Coming up the initial concepts is always my problem so I find I'm using template sites more and more.

I've used www.liquid2d.com recently and I was very happy with what I got. The transaction took about 24hrs to go through cos of the time difference but I got a gr8 template for under a tenner!

The only other template sites I've seen that's worth talking about are templatemonster.com and ultravertex.com

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Daz
    I've used www.liquid2d.com recently and I was very happy with what I got. The transaction took about 24hrs to go through cos of the time difference but I got a gr8 template for under a tenner!

The only other template sites I've seen that's worth talking about are templatemonster.com and ultravertex.com
    Hey there Daz,
    Sorry I didn't get back to yeh sooner but I have been outta comission for a bit. Ok, that liquid crowd seem to have some pretty nice stuff! Thanks for that.
    I found these guys the other day... http://www.voidix.com/products/ and I have to say they LOOK superb... I may have to take the plunge and see what I get.... anyway, I'll keep you posted....
    Peej

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My company uses Template Monster http://www.templatemonster.com and we've been very pleased with them and so have our clients. They know they are buying a template. I think templates are perfect for a company trying to move their business online with a minimum of cost. Those that perform well will see the value of what they are doing and upgrade services, buy an original unique design and so on.
    Chrispian H. Burks
    Nothing To Say

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Crowe
    My company uses Template Monster http://www.templatemonster.com and we've been very pleased with them and so have our clients..
    Same here!
    Golf Outings? OutingCaddy.com
    Organize - Invite - Create Free website for your golf outing!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Crowe
    My company uses Template Monster http://www.templatemonster.com and we've been very pleased with them and so have our clients. They know they are buying a template. I think templates are perfect for a company trying to move their business online with a minimum of cost. Those that perform well will see the value of what they are doing and upgrade services, buy an original unique design and so on.
    Yea, I think most people I meet are happy to get a template if it costs less than the full-on custom graphic design route. Interesting thought that they may upgrade to an original design eventually... yea, I suppose we can hook em with a nice template and go from there.
    Hmmm, its funny cos I find that most of the people I deal with have never owned a website and are not very comfortable with computers. So when I come along and tell em that they don't need to spend lotsa money on graphic design etc they are very grateful for the advice and it really helps to win them over...

What about templatemonster then? What do you get in the template you buy? Just a single page in photoshop format? Or ,like, 3 html pages with sliced buttons , the psd files for changin the buttons etc... any glaring omissions? How about the fonts? How many times can you use this template?

Peej

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    These company's do indeed all make very beautyfull templates. I'm a pretty good designer myself so I don't need to use their services. Alltough they make very nice things I think the filesize for their templates are mostly to high to have a fastloading website ( especially those of templatemonster ). It could be that I'm the only one thinking this way cause I'm kinde obsessed with loading times but still. So alltough I think they make the most beautyfull designs arround onthe web, I think they are way to heavy for most company's.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Percept
    Alltough they make very nice things I think the filesize for their templates are mostly to high to have a fastloading website ( especially those of templatemonster ). It could be that I'm the only one thinking this way cause I'm kinde obsessed with loading times but still. So alltough I think they make the most beautyfull designs arround onthe web, I think they are way to heavy for most company's.
    Excellent point! And exactly the reason I started this thread.
    Because, that didn't actually occur to me as a gotcha.... I just assumed these companies would have optimised graphics....
    And here in Ireland where most people are on 56k dial up connections (broadband? wha?) a slow loading site is a dead site... nobody will bother waiting... well its understandable cos our local phone charges are by the minute...

Thanks for that!
    Peej

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really like some of the designs on the sites mentioned above, outstanding, it's fine if you buy the template outright but for the prices they charge for an outright buy, you could get a fully custom design done (like with your photos, your logo and all the rest) done by a designer.

But from what you're saying, you just buy a copy of the template? I could never bring myself to do that, knowing there are about 200 other sites which look the same as mine

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by platinum
    I really like some of the designs on the sites mentioned above, outstanding, it's fine if you buy the template outright but for the prices they charge for an outright buy, you could get a fully custom design done (like with your photos, your logo and all the rest) done by a designer.

But from what you're saying, you just buy a copy of the template? I could never bring myself to do that, knowing there are about 200 other sites which look the same as mine [img]images/smilies/frown.gif[/img]
    Well the cheaper copy option suits a lot of people, especially here in Ireland with sites intended to promote local business....

You've a very nice portfolio by the way. Like those clean interface style sites.

Peej

PS: Anyone ever looked at www.coolhomepages.com for inspiration? I send clients there and tell em to pick a few they like so that they can better explain what it is that they want....

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I personally am a member of www.boxedart.com. For about $25 (US), you get access to all of their templates and other goodies. Really a good deal.

I have also purchased from Template Monster in the past because they have superb templates. Many other companies are not worth it. Their templates are simple boxed in rehashes of standard Dreamweaver and Frontpage templates without any inspiration. Or they offer hundreds of templates where in reality, it is the same several templates in 10 different colors each. Things like that just scream rip-off to me and implies that the owners of the sites do not care about their customers.
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I purchased from templatemonster once - Full purchase. I wasn't happy with the way the PSD was laid out. Layers were called "Layer1. Layer2, something, etc" they had no descriptions and it had 50 layers. It took me an couple hours to figure out what everything was. I also thought it was put together poorly from a Photoshop perspective.

This could have been the designer I picked and other designers do a better job. I always wondered if they have some kind of check before they post the template for sale.

I was happy with the design, but ended up redoing most of it because it was poorly constructed. I basically paid for the idea.
    Golf Outings? OutingCaddy.com
    Organize - Invite - Create Free website for your golf outing!