SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Software needed?

Hello,

Looking for some software to make website templates. I have Dreamweaver MX , Photo Shop 7, but to be honest...not sure if I can make templates with them. I have heared you can with Dreamweaver, so if you could point me in the right direction...that would be cool. Thanks in advance

Eric
    "Drive for show ....putt for dough"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe you have all the tools neccessary my friend. You just have to go about now and make the designs.

PS: DW's Help/Tutorial files show how to create templates with the app.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, just do your design and save as a Dreamweaver template (.dwt), but be sure and read all of the documentation before you do. All regions will become uneditable unless you specify otherwise and name the editable region.

Ohio - U.S.A. Outlook: Cautiously Optimistic
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's that simple?! Wow, maybe I do need to rethink my current process of making the design in paint shop pro then hand coding the html, then banging on my computer until it displays correctly.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the right tools for the right site

Quote Originally Posted by Par5Golf
    Looking for some software to make website templates.
    Remember, not all sites need a lot of graphics. Some of my favorite sites I've done have very few graphics, using css instead. If this is the case, I typically draw out the site first using paper and colored pencils. Then, the page can be put together with any html editor you choose.

Sometimes, simple is better.
    --
    Dennis K

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PalmerB
    It's that simple?! Wow, maybe I do need to rethink my current process of making the design in paint shop pro then hand coding the html, then banging on my computer until it displays correctly.
    If you know what you are doing, then you don't have to bang your head.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know what I'm doing

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Then... try TopStyle so then you don't have to go and reupload...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey! Don't knock PaintShop Pro! lol. I use it religiously til I can sell enough body parts to afford Photoshop 7. $600+ you have GOT to be kidding me. The Academic is like $200! And I cant use that to make money!

I know sooner or later I gotta take on PS7, but It's gonna be a while til I can do so.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah I think a lot of people don't understand how much simpler things get with dreamweaver....but it's good to know how to handcode manually.

I was wondering if you made a design, saved as a template in dreamweaver, and then sold the template on site.....what files would you give the buyer? just the .dwt file or what?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the ino FTI. I literally have dozens of comps on my computer from previous competitions on the Trading Post and at D.O. that are going to waste. I don't want to give them away but I don't want to take the time to hand-code them for resale.

Using Dreamweaver to code those non-winners sounds perfect. For my other sites and my clients, I'll stick to hand coding. Can't beat the loading time of those. There is a lot of software that puts in extraneous code that isn't needed.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FTI, I give them everything for a template. But in as much I charge from $500-$600 each; then they use them for their website/webmaster. If they break the template, I'll replace it for free; but I will not fix it unless they want to open a new project which I charge $100/hour to fix however many pages are broken.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well you should try dreamweaver out Palmer. If you're into handcoding more, you can still do that in dreamweaver without a problem. A mixture of using dreamweavers predefined code, and manually working in some yourself is quite simple.

Now for aaron.... I mean like template sites that offer them for around $20-$30 and what not. Do you think they're just handing over the .dwt file or whatever file the template was saved as?

And what do you mean by 'everything'? I'm not a real expert on templates....