SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interview - Rachel Andrew, Dreamweaver Task Force

This forum thread discusses the SitePoint article 'Interview - Rachel Andrew, Dreamweaver Task Force' by Bruce Lawson.

"Rachel is a member of the Web Standards Project's Dreamweaver Taskforce, and co-author of two books. Bruce speaks with her about Web standards, working with Macromedia, and much more..."

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy TheOriginalH's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    An interesting read.

I would argue against one MacroMedia defence though...

However, it?s quite likely that many users of Dreamweaver would have no idea what <strong> meant, and are still working on sites that use font tags as opposed to CSS. If Dreamweaver appeared to have dropped support for the way these work, then that segment of the Dreamweaver audience would feel rather unhappy towards Macromedia!
    I would posit that the type of person who would not know what the "<strong>" tag meant would be likely to be the type relying only on the visual design offered by DW. They would be likely to use the "I" and "B" buttons on the properties inspector, and as such would not care what code the buttons produced. Those that do care about code but still use said buttons, would know what the buttons did and perhaps be educated by the code.

fwiw mine does default to <strong> & <em> - but I really can't remember whether I've changed a setting or tweaked a file to achieve that at some point!
    ~The Artist Latterly Known as Crazy Hamster~
    922ee590a26bd62eb9b33cf2877a00df
    Currently delving into Django, GIT & CentOS

gingham dress, army boots... silver trophy redux's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i'm with H there 100%. my DW MX does strong and em as well...i think it's because i've set it to use xhtml as default, rather than html4...
    re·dux (adj.): brought back; returned. used postpositively
    [latin : re-, re- + dux, leader; see duke.]
    WaSP Accessibility Task Force Member
    splintered.co.uk | photographia.co.uk | redux.deviantart.com