User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi
    I'm only at a basic level at the moment, so making sure it works in all the browsers is not so important.
    At the moment, I'm just learning and experimenting. I've now heard that Visual Studio can give a Live Preview which using IE for the default preview. This also ties in nicely with me practicing ASP.NET as well. So I'll either use VS or CoffeeCup for now - to see how it goes
    Cheers
    Matt

It's all Geek to me silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    The problem with testing in IE is that it's a rubbish browser, so if you learn to code for that, you'll learn bad habits.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been using CoffeeCup for my recent projects and have found the instant split screen preview very helpful since I'm not a master programmer. It allows you to click in preview and find the corresponding code or click the code and see the element highlight in preview. Very much like developers tools as firebug and web inspector but right into your coding environment. You can also preview in various browsers before you publish to ensure the code displays properly within each.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    HTML Editor is my choice.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi
    To the CoffeeCup experts, is it possible to view say two files at the same time? For example, its useful to be able to view the html and css at the same time, to save clicking back and forth between files. Its certainly possible with Visual Studio.
    Cheers
    Matt

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Adobe Dreamweaver is the best tool for the job, no doubt. It`s far superios to Coffeecup.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can edit both your html & css files from within the same window. There is a slider which allows you to either focus on a single file or choose a split screen view of both files with the instant preview window still available. For the price (plus free upgrades) it's hard to beat.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think I used CoffeeCup a long time ago, but now I use WeBuilder.
    It has everything I need, split screen, fast preview in IE and Chrome, I can save code I use frequently in sidebar as snippet, auto uploads to FTP, integrates with wamp/xamp for localhost, code validator... etc
    Really happy with it

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi astra
    I've just looked at http://www.webuilderapp.com/ html-css editor and it does look pretty awesome actually. Your the first to mention webuilder and looks really good value for the price ( I usually haggle for a lower price in any case).
    Cheers
    Matt

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I have been using WeBuilder for some time now, and I am really happy with it.
    I know I switched to it from some other HTML editor, I believe it was CoffeeCup.
    I have most expensive WeBuilder, I only use HTML/CSS/PHP, but ASP and Ruby support are welcomed addition for future use. Didn't try Python there as I use Komodo for it and I need debugger since I use it for Desktop Apps.
    Anyway, it offers free trial, so it doesn't hurt to try it. But I believe you can use it 30 times, not 30 days, it was something like that.

Dreamweaver is to big if you ask me, I tried it once as trial and shut it down and uninstalled it shortly after that.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Astra
    I've just downloaded WebBuilder now. I must say that it looks more impressive than CoffeeCup, I'm just figuring how I would be able to view the html, css and preview windows all the at the same time - is this possible

Cheers
    Matt

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Aha!!! In WeBuilder I like the Preview for Horizontal Split and Verticial Split tabs. Also I like the Code Explorer window which reminds you of the names of the classes and divs used so far etc..
    Good product!!!
    Cheers
    Matt

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hm... no, at least not that I am aware of it.
    I always code bigger pieces of code and I have 2 monitors, so that feature wasn't important to me.
    The features I wrote above were important, so it really perfectly suites my needs.

Yeah, that is great, but also, when you start writing class= or div= it will automatically give you drop down with classes/ids in your css files that you linked to html files., it also auto-completes, has options for your css markups, so if you write font-style, it will offer you choices you can make for it, etc... don't remember if CC has that, probably does.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile Dream waiver

Quote Originally Posted by jmatty2000 View Post
    Hi
    I'm new to html, css and web design. I'm trying to avoid Themed Web-site templates if I can and write all of the code myself where practical.

I've just downloaded CoffeeCup, currently $69 for a licence, where its possible to preview a browser window as you are writing the html or css. I've also noticed that CoffeeCup offer a 20 percent discount, if you pay in the first 21 days. Before I decide to part with my hard-earned cash, can anyone recommend any other html editors which enable you preview a browser at the same time as editting the code - I think that checking the preview screen at the same time will help me to learn quicker as I go along.

Has anyone any more recommendations on which software tool to start write html and css with please.
    Kind Regards
    Matt
    I think Adobe Dreamweaver CS6 is best for this task.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi
    I keep hearing bad things about Dreamweaver so I must reserve my opinion on that. Besides, I don't think I can afford it.

From what I see so far WeBuilder seesm to be the best from what I've seen regarding editting html and css.

Cheers
    Matt

It's all Geek to me silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    I keep hearing bad things about Dreamweaver
    It's a good code editor, but gets a bad reputation because of its WYSIWYG functionality (which encourages people to build websites without touching code, and usually produces junk as a result). Dw is also pretty 'bloated', meaning it has a lot of things that you won't need, so it's a waste of space (and money) for coders.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't use any of these 'miracle', 'website-in-three-minutes' type coding programs. Although it's invariably true that you 'don't have to write any code', what they don't mention is that you have to find your way around a ridiculously complicated mish-mash of mindless bloat, that changes and gets worse with every upgrade. Who needs that? It ends up being more complicated than just learning the basic coding skills in the first place.

For every occasion these magic programs save you five minutes, there's another occasion where they waste five hours, as you struggle through forums and help files to find out how to make it do something that is (or ought to be) actually quite simple in the old-fashioned, unassisted, non-proprietary world.

However, lots of people like them, and that's fine. So this might be useful for someone:

Spotted in my inbox this morning: For potential CoffeeCup Web Editor users the Mac version (NOT the Win version), is discounted from $69 down to $10 until 23 April at well known website http://www.mightydeals.com/deal/coff...eb-editor.html

Can't go wrong for $10, I guess. But don't blame me when you've spent a week trying to to find the dialogue box to move your logo half an inch to the right...

Paul

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am quite happy using acehtml - http://software.visicommedia.com/en/products/acehtml/
    There is also a free version

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use Coffee Cup myself, and once you learn to use it effectively, it actually is pretty convenient. Myself, I don't find it necessary at all to purchase a license, and the free version does exactly what I need. When creating html markup, css, javascript...whatever'... you can view your code within the coffee cup app itself, but as well, right by that preview button, you also have the option to set up to 8 different browsers to view your creation in as well. So really, you get the best of both worlds. Rather than leaving the program to open your file in a browser, you can open a browser from the program itself, which is a plus. As well, you can view your creation in the application itself, but keep in mind, you are viewing your creation in an Internet Explorer 8 environment when using the software to view your creation, so by no means should you use only the preview option to gauge the quality of your work.

Hope that helps, and you enjoy the tips as much as I do using them.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks to Granville - I will try Acehtml to see if it beats WeBuilder. Sounds good if you recommended it.

To Crazilla, with CoffeeCup, don't you find it really annoying that if you say enter <h1> then its auto the closing element </h1> fine but the cursor is still focused within the <h1> element (just after the number 2)? The same goes with any other html element as well. CoffeeCup is the only html editor which leaves the cursor there, compared against any other editor I've tried so far. Is this something that you find you get used to or find it better then if it moved the cursor to where the heading is supposed to be typed in?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @jmatty, it's really going to all depend on what project you are working on at the current time I'd have to say. I mean sure, for your basic mark-up, pushing the right arrow to move your cursor outside of the initial opening tag is a slight inconvenience. You definitely grow use to it though, and learn to be quick with it. But the thing is, there are tons of cases where you want that cursor to be just inside the opening tags. For anything that has an attribute of some kind, that's the optimal place. Creating forms, giving things classes and Id's, and the list goes on, you'll find yourself wanting to be inside the opening tag. I guess it's really just a matter of personal preference, and what you typically do the most of in your files.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Matt!

I Prefer Microsoft Frontpage

Life is not a malfunction gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    273 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mohamad Zidani View Post

I Prefer Microsoft Frontpage
    Then you'll be sorry that it was discontinued by MS in 2006. Perhaps it's better not to confuse the issue by mentioning obsolete software. But thanks for contributing, and welcome to the forums.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dreamweaver Replacement

Hi
    I keep hearing bad things about Dreamweaver so I must reserve my opinion on that. Besides, I don't think I can afford it.

From what I see so far WeBuilder sees to be the best from what I've seen regarding editting html and css.

Cheers
    Matt
    No Offence, but I cannot disagree more.

I have had it with Adobe CC and their overpriced oversized products. The final straw is with DW, the crashes are impossible to deal with these days (working on fresh install of win and 3960X + 32gb ram so not hardware issue).

I have been using Dreamweaver since they were acquired by adobe. Off and on I have used/tried others but not for the last couple years. I was looking over Webuilder and wow only 12mb. Hope it's as good as it seems.

Has anyone compared Webuilder with HtmlKit?
    D

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Front page is great for learning but will it support html5/css3?