SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My site is in FP, and I am wanting to switch to DW. I am concerned that the generated itens, i.e. navgation to same levels or other pages will not transfer. Anyone have any ideas on this? I'm a novice, and am frustrated with FP in certain areas.

Thanks

Amber

Fluffy Kitten Programmer~ Elledan's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you've used FP extensions you've to do those things all over in DreamWeaver, else there's no problem at all.

I recommend using the Template function of DW, since that is much better and faster than the 'shared borders' function of FP.
    www.nyanko.ws - My web-, software- and game development company.
    www.mayaposch.com - My personal site and blog.

I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaack! Fluffykins's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Using DWs Library feature is a godsend for navigation bars and can replace FP auto-generated ones.

Say you have a same level navigation bar on a number of pages (I do this in several sections of my work site), create it, make it into a Library item and put it on all the pages.

Now, when you go and add another page to that level later on, add the link into the Library item and it's updated them all over the site. It's *such* a boon!

Library items are also good for things like logos and text that aren't part of your main template, but are used repeatly around the site.

DW 3 also generates navigation bars in a similar vein to FP with over, up and down states as images. These navigation bars as Library items and you're away.

As Elledan says though, watch out for FP components and stuff that needs the extensions.

Have a look, you'll be impressed!

Ady
    v-technologies - Freelance Goodness.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you both Ellendan and Ady. I will be doing the big move next week. . . .I've printed your advice, and I'm sure you will be hearing from me if I have any "challenges" with the move
    Thanks again

Amber

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Disclamer: I do not mean this as an insult to anyone!

Many people spend a lot of time using these programs that create your HTML documents for you. I see the value in these programs if you wish to always be constrined by the limitations of the product. Say you have been using Front Page for 3 years and you want to do some custome PHP scripting to create a dynamic HTML page, you might have a more difficult time learning this becasue you will have to go back and learn HTML.

For those of you just starting off, take the time and learn HTML good, this will give you a good starting poing point for much to come, and you will be greatful in the future.
    Craig D. Parker
    http://www.fantasystats.com
    Free Fantasy Football Leagues

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Using a program like DW doesn't mean that you don't know nothing about HTML. I started in Composer and then went to DW. While working with DW, I learned HTML because I checked the source while DW was creating it (looks kinda funny: you change something on the page and you see it change in the source window) I can now even code my own pages in 1st-page 2000, although I still prefer DW, especially because of its superb site management features.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stat_man~

I do understand the value in learning HTML, and I have caught on to it, in baby steps, in switching between an editor to the HTML code. Perhaps one day when I am not working a full time job, starting to learn DW, not to mention FP and Adobe Photoshop so I can manage my own site, and not working another part time job, and being a mom and Suzy Homemaker, I will start that venture as wellI'm just a bit over whelmed at the moment.
    Thanks for all your comments

Amber

Kat's Meow Senior ******* WebKat's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ~Amber~ it is so easy to get overwhelmed but you are learning at your own pace...and that is exactly what you need to be doing! This is not a static field, so you will find that you will be wanting to learn more about the 'Behind the Scenes' of web design the longer you are working on the web. Learning HTML is just the first important step...

None of this can be learned overnight...no matter who says they can. It is just that many are just so passionate about learning it one specific way and one specific time frame and one specific program -- without realizing that we are all individuals with different learning curves.

Whether you code completely by hand, use FrontPage, use DreamWeaver, use HotDog, use NotePad -- everyone is welcome at SitePoint Forums where learning is the key to find the best way possible for each of us...

Ok, enough of my mini editorials...

p.s. I love Dreamweaver and you will too...See we all like our particular programs

[Edited by WebKat on 10-20-2000 at 04:34 PM]
    Dlynn :: SitePoint Senior Advisor ::
    PawPrint Designs by WebKat
    "Dogs come when they're called; Cats take a message and get back to you later." ~ Mary Bly

Don't get too close, I bite! Nicky's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with WebKat, everyone needs to find their own niche. i like DW too. However, I ahve a soft spot for Hot Dog which is the first editor I ever used. I find it was really good for me because it helped me learn HTML without hiding the code from me. DW hides the code unless you want to look at it and know where to find it. In Hot Dog you are forced to look at it, but you don't necessarily have to do any coding. I thoroughly recommend it.

PS What is a Suzy Homemaker?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Webkat and Nicky for your encouragement. . . .I LOVE this fourm! However, from my point of view, the more I get frustrated, the more determined I become to "whoop" these challeges. Of course this is after I cry, through my mouse against the wall, and start looking for web consultants or designers. Then after they tell me how much they want, I go take some alka seltzer, go to bed or get out of the house, and start over the next day. It's such a vicious cycle. . .

Nicky, a Suzy Homemaker is similar to a Stepford Wife, but not quite as extreme. They are a combo of Marry Poppins, Martha Stweart, and Madonna all in one. You may not be old enough to remember any of the above except for Madonna

Amber

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I must say, I have "my plate full" as well. I was not critizing anyone. I was point out the simple FACT that instead of learning Friont Page of Dream weaver learn HTML, and do it yourself. This will benfit you in the long run. I don't mean to hurt anyone wittle fewings, honestly. Just trying to direct some people in the right direction.

Obviously my disclamer wasn't eve read.
    Craig D. Parker

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by stat_man
    ...I was not critizing anyone. I was point out the simple FACT that instead of learning Friont Page of Dream weaver learn HTML, and do it yourself. This will benfit you in the long run. I don't mean to hurt anyone wittle fewings, honestly. Just trying to direct some people in the right direction.

Obviously my disclamer wasn't eve read.
    'stat_man' ---> No offense taken as you were only emphasizing the importance of learning the basics and not just rely on wysiwyg editors...Sometimes people that utilize wysiwyg programs don't take the time to learn HTML and it is ultimately their loss if they need to correct code.

We both know that the smart web designers will take the time to learn & understand & learn some more all that it takes to build a quality site -- and that includes HTML. Just like you have done and many others who take the time to visit the SP Forums
    "Dogs come when they're called; Cats take a message and get back to you later." ~ Mary Bly

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    stat_man~

I don't think anyone took your good advice as being offensive. . .I sure did not, and it did not seem to me that anyone else did. If I gave you the impression that I was offended by your thoughtfulness, I apologize. (I thought your disclaimer was a thoughtful consideration

Amber

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    stat_man-

I do agree with you mostly, but may I offer a different perspective. I work HTML and ASP pages professionally and find DW to cut down my development cycle by a fair amount. I use it for rough first layouts.

So what I'm saying is, WYSIWYG tools could be invaluable but you need to know what you are doing.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    duckie-
    Obviously you agree with me, you know HTML and us these tools not as your final contructor tool but as a rapid-dev tool. I am speaking to people who are using DreamWeaver or these other tools. Just saying, learn HTML, you will be happy later when you want to learn PHP, Perl, ...

Simple as that!
    Craig D. Parker

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well yeah like I said I agreed with you.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You put that MOSTLEY in there, so it left some doubt :-)
    Craig D. Parker

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ~stat_man~
    I agree with your approach, but I still believe that that you can combine the efficiency of programs such as FP/DW with parallel learning of HTML. Especially for those like myself that learn best visually -- WYSIWYG editors actually helped me to learn HTML...

It would be like giving up our word processors to go back to using a manual typewriter -- the word processor doesn't create your ideas and you still need to be able to write a complete sentence. It just makes it nice when you can copy & paste and not go back to the days of carbon paper & white out!

WYSIWYG programs should be a tool for web designers that they combine with learning & understanding the source languages...just like a key & lock!

I think that we all would agree that relying on such programs to do everything and do it correctly the 1st time may just be asking too much...so make the intelligent move, LEARN HTML

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Again, exactly my point webkat. Simple enough I think. You will ALWAYS be limited when using these tools!
    Craig D. Parker

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by stat_man
    Again, exactly my point webkat. Simple enough I think. You will ALWAYS be limited when using these tools!
    Like I said before: I learned HTML while using DreamWeaver. And I don't feel limited in any way while using it. On the contrary: it enables me to create pages much faster than I ever could in a program like 1st-page 2000, which I've installed as well, but almost never use.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK you guys. . .since we are on the HTML thing, I've got a few links, but I find them a bit juvenile. I want something that will have what it does and what the code is. Kinda like a dictionary. (By the way, do thay have one of those? And what's it called? The HTML bible?) And then I want to be able to print it out, stick it under my pillow and then through osmosis, wake up in the morning and know everything on the paper. Know od anything like that? Since we are on the subject. . .
    Oh, and then off the subject, I'm looking for celtic, art deco, or art nouveau clip art. Any suggestions where I can either down load them, or buy some cd with them on it. Since it seems that all of you are into design stuff. . .

Thanks~

Amber

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, this is a downloadable thing, and you need IE4/5 installed, but it has really helped me when I was starting out.

http://www.htmlib.com/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by amber
    through my mouse against the wall
    Hey! Don't hurt the little creature!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Amber, to name a few...

"Art Deco Clipart Squaresville"
    "Designed to a T-Free Graphics, Backgrounds, even Paint Shop tips" (click graphics>clickart>art deco clipart)
    "Celtic Graphics & Design"

"The HTML Pit Stop from PageResource"
    "Web Design and HTML Tutorials from PageTutor"
    "HTML Cheatsheet from WebMonkey"

And as I like real books! I have from the Visual Quickstart Guide Series --HTML4 for the WWW-- by Elizabeth Castro, which I have owned since I first begin to teach myself HTML...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Saltire
    Originally posted by amber
    through my mouse against the wall
    Hey! Don't hurt the little creature!
    As a WebKat I have deep respect for my Mouse, it is my PC that I would often like to ditch through my office window...