SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just completed my third review today, so here's my request. The URL is http://www.knightsofpride.org Thanks.

Serial Publisher silver trophy aspen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not going to critique this from a professional site point of view. Its obviously not that. Its a gaming clan site. So you wont hear me say anything about the star background.

Never underestimate the power of the CSS mouse over using the hover psuedo class. It doesn't work right in NS 4.X sure, but everyone else gets a nice bit of eye candy.

The red links, the white menu, the blue bars. Is it fourth of july? I would lose one of the colors.

I would keep your title graphic on the top of all your pages, right now it isn't there. Its just common design technique to include the header/title graphic on all pages.

On the same note I would include the same menu on every page. Right now it isn't like that. I'm talking about keeping the little button and screenshot link on every page for a more uniform look.

Look into using SSI, it will help with the 2 suggestions above and in the end make it easier to update your site.

Insert a border = "0" arguement in the screenshot image tag.

Chris

********* Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey,

Here are a couple of comments about your design:

1) The design itself is pretty simple but I guess, it gets the job done. Maybe, you should work on the logo a bit to make it more "memorable"...

I'm not really sure what else to say... even though your design is very simply, it seems to be well done because I don't really notice anything important to be changed.

I guess you could edit your menu a bit along with your logo, but that's about all...

Good luck,
    Boris
    * HostSector.com - Get Your Business Online
    Plans starting at $4.95/month (up to 500MB of space, 15,000MB of bandwidth, and more).

http://hostsector.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like this site alot,
    i'd use a different color for the background, black is not good.

I like the gradiant bars !
    Free Science Homework Help
    http://www.physicsforums.com

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For a personal site, I think it works great. you have a lot of empty space between your first logo, and the start of your text though. I'd change the valign to top for that particular cell.

I like the way each of the sections are divided out. Your blue dividers with the white text work very well. Are the stars in the gradient part of the actual graphic? that looks fantastic.

Keep it up. Great job.
    Daniel Short
    DHTMLShock

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by dhtmlshock
    You have a lot of empty space between your first logo, and the start of your text though. I'd change the valign to top for that particular cell.

Your blue dividers with the white text work very well. Are the stars in the gradient part of the actual graphic?
    Thanks everyone for your comments and suggestions.

dhtmlshock, yeah, there usually is not all that empty space, but since the current news is short, that's what happens. Before I added the screenshot feature it didn't happen like that.

Yes, the stars are in the gradient divider image. For a long time I had it as plain blue-to-black, but I decided to merge it with the star background to make it look like it really was on top of the stars. Just a simple gradient mask channel does it.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    dhtmlshock, yeah, there usually is not all that empty space, but since the current news is short, that's what happens. Before I added the screenshot feature it didn't happen like that.
    Just change that particular cell to
    Code:
    <td valign="top">
    and you'll be set.
    Daniel Short
    DHTMLShock

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by dhtmlshock
    Just change that particular cell to
    Code:
    <td valign="top">
    and you'll be set.
    Thanks, I've thought about that, but then there would be a lot of empty space at the bottom. Usually there's enough news to fill it up, so I think for now I'll leave it and try to figure out something more to say.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Add a few more "cool" graphics. As a gaming clan, I think you can expect more people to want the really dark, sinister graphics look.

The starry background needs to go, IMHO. I just don't think that tiled background images are very good looking.

All of your content seems great! Just add some dark graphics with funky type faces. For instance:

The links on the left side could become a graphical menu with dark colors and funky fonts.

The blue news update line could be a darker color, also using dark fonts.

You could make the background a dark green or very deep maroon, almost black with little color to add contrast.

With a few colors in place, you then develop a whole pallete of dark colors to work with and it would be much easier to come up with new ideas!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like your site from a 'Gaming Site' POV...
    (Point of View)
    I dont fine nothing wrong with it, maybe to add some interest add some mouseovers as previously stated.

But i like the way your 'Blue' news things blend into the bg, thats pretty cool.
    Ken Prescott - 21Studios freelancing design
    Graphic-Forums - The Forums for the Graphic User

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not a gamer so I'm not sure what this site is about, but that's my problem, not yours. The site is well organized and seems to contain the type of information required. I would add a litlle life to your navigation bar, perhaps using something along the lines of your cool blue bars, they look great. Would also consider adding your Knights of Pride logo to the top of every page, something I like to do with many business sites but would add a little interest to the top of every page, maybe even a real logo above the navigation bar would do this. The colors work for me, maybe a little hard to read the blue links against the black. Best of luck with this.
    www.gulfislandvacationrentals.com
    Specializing in waterfront and rural vacation properties.
    www.penderisland.info
    A vacation paradise in British Columbia's Gulf Islands