User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Just Blow It bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    116 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

US to require licenses for designers

Found an interesting article about licensing designers. Makes some legitimate points. Any thoughts?

http://www.webdesignerdepot.com/2013...e-law-in-2015/

April Fools
    Dave Maxwell - Manage Your Site Team Leader
    My favorite YouTube Video! | Star Wars, Dr Suess Style
    Learn how to be ready for The Forums' Move to Discourse

#titanic {float:none} silver trophy
    Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Do you think that I'll be fooling myself if I tried to get one even if I'm not from the US?

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don`t see any reason for that, a good designer is recognised by his skill, a paper doesn`t make you a good one.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This would create an opportunity to bring the craft back to a professional standard and my even create some jobs.

From Italy with love silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    163 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Good one.

I solve practical problems. bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    April Fool's nonsense aside, certification is one reason why master plumbers and electricians make more money than master web developers. As long as we have untalented jacklegs who will work for less than minimum wage in the market, the prices we can command will be lower than they should be.

Team SitePoint
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    kind of pointless IMHO. A good designer does a good job. period.

This is just lead to more solo outsourcing.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    kind of pointless IMHO. A good designer does a good job. period.
    Michael makes a good point though: there have always been good/talented plumbers and electricians too.

I waver on the idea of certification. On the one hand I notice how many more types of (good) individuals become very knowledgeable in the field of IT and are able to get jobs based on what they know rather than a paper (whereas if you're good at anything else, without that paper you usually can't find anything); on the other hand the low-end knowledge-poor can get decent clients because web design is a lemon market: clients don't have anything to be able to distinguish good developers from bad, unless they themselves already know enough code to be able to look under the hood and see if there's quality there. That's one reason for certification (the other simply showing you know laws pertaining to things like safety... this is actually why electricians and radiation technologists need certification, not so much proof they can wire something well or take a good x-ray).

It's all Geek to me silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    457 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    I'd like to see most of the designers I've dealt with become certified, but not in the way described by the article.

Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ralph.m View Post
    I'd like to see most of the designers I've dealt with become certified, but not in the way described by the article.
    I don't understand what you mean... what kind of certification would you ask for? Creativity?

Mentioned
    457 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by molona View Post
    I don't understand what you mean... what kind of certification would you ask for? Creativity?
    See definition 4: http://www.thefreedictionary.com/certified

Usage example

Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    That's the meaning that I thought was used in the article: meeting a certain standard

Mentioned
    457 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by molona View Post
    That's the meaning that I thought was used in the article: meeting a certain standard
    Definition 4?

4. To declare to be in need of psychiatric treatment or confinement.
    I gave you two links to make it clear.

SitePoint Mentor silver trophybronze trophy

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    .... you made my jump a bit. Joking aside a strongly feel some regulation needs to be placed. Can anybody start building a house? In theory yes, but you still need a building permit and to abide by property building regulations. That being said I feel some regulation might be a good thing. This will not only weed out any cowboys, but it will assist clients to know what to look for as they will now have a form of regulation to go by.
    follow me on ayyelo, Easy WordPress; specializing in setting up themes!

Mentioned
    116 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Wow - never thought an April Fools joke would lead to a serious discussion

Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I gave you two links to make it clear.
    Off Topic:

You know I need my time to get stuff... sometimes, I can be a bit slow... and I guess I took it to seriously

Mentioned
    457 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveMaxwell View Post
    Wow - never thought an April Fools joke would lead to a serious discussion
    Humor is a very serious affair.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Funny how most people think a Web Designer and a Web Developer are the same thing - actually most people have never heard of a Web Developer and seem to think stuff just gets up on the web instantly - as soon as the designer is finished with it. Yet they understand that someone who designs cars doesn't build them.

Charles
    aka Web Developer

Mentioned
    457 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by charles_i View Post
    they understand that someone who designs cars doesn't build them.
    Heck, I had no idea about that!

I guess most people just want a car, and don't care how it came to be, or want a hamburger, and don't think about the screams and blood of the slaughterhouse. They also just want a website, and don't care how it comes about. 'Web designer' has come to be a general term for those who don't really know what's involved.

From space with love silver trophy
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    April Fools joke aside, Ive always considered web designers to be basically "front-end" and web developers to be "back-end". I can understand certification for jobs such as electricians and plumbers as there is a definite safety aspect but for anything in the general it industry there isnt too much point as for one thing a % of what you learn will probably be out of date by the time you sit an exam. I think that vendor-specific qualifications aren't too useful as you might study one then find a future employer uses another manufacturer. Some can be very expensive, for example i think the CCNA one costs a few Łk to do initially and has to be renewed every so many years (may be yearly) and if you have any of the "follow-on" qualifications from the CCNA and the CCNA expires then all the "follow-on" ones expire as well.

I would rather go for one like the Network+ which afaik is vendor-independent, but then it raises the question of what countries are they "valid" in. A qualification or certification in one country might not be worth the paper it's written on in another country which may have its own qualifications or certifications.

The last time I had as flick through at web design and/or development job adverts (within 50ish miles from where I live), they all basically emphasised experience over qualifications.
    Community Team Advisor
    Forum Guidelines: Posting FAQ Signatures FAQ Self Promotion FAQ
    Help the Mods: What's Fluff? Report Fluff/Spam to a Moderator

Mentioned
    457 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SpacePhoenix View Post
    Ive always considered web designers to be basically "front-end" and web developers to be "back-end".
    But then there are front-ed web developers, too (like those who do JS, web apps and so on).

Anyhow, I was thinking that, short of some kind of official web dev certification (which would have a lot of problems anyway) there could at least be an official set of benchmark skills on a website somewhere, and designers/devs could could indicate which of those skills they have. Of course, there's no guarantee that people would be honest, but at least it would provide some kind of reference point for those looking for a service provider, and there could be a list of criteria for each skill that potential clients could quiz the designer about.

A reference like that would provide a guide for devs as well as customers. If each skill are had a detailed list of what skills are really required for a particular area, it would at least nudge web people to challenge themselves to make sure they had everything under their belt. A lot of web devs aren't even aware of the skills they lack (such as having next to no awareness of accessibility, unobtrusive JS etc.)

Robert Wellock silver trophybronze trophy xhtmlcoder's Avatar
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lee, the CCNA refresh/renewal historically is about every three years; I did do the CCNA course and passed with all four Certificates. Though I didn't think it was worth doing the CCNA Certified exam, which is just two practicals and two exams. All they do is just combine Semester (1 and 2) then (3 and 4) material. So you just get tested twice again [1-2], [3-4], on what you covered before, i.e. the previous 4 times [1, 2, 3 and 4] (4 course exams and 4 course practicals) to gain the 4 certificates. Yes, it would be expensive to take the actual CCNA Certified exam itself and keep it renewed.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I didn't take the time to read what a lot of you posted, but here are my thoughts on what we're witnessing here.

FACT: The United States is on its way to becoming the deepest tyranny the planet has ever seen. The United States is also the most oppressive police state in the world, locking up the highest percentage of its citizens, followed by Russia and China.

You think you live in a free country? Think again.

This all ties in to the criminal federal government's war on internet freedom. The "big six" corporations own the print media and television news, which they dictate what the dumbed-down American populace is allowed to know. A great threat to the power structure (symbolized by the pyramid with the illuminated eye at the pinnacle- see my avatar) is the freedom of information that the internet allows. The internet is the last beacon of true democracy, so they will crack down any way they can, especially as the world's economic system is collapsing and awareness of tyranny is skyrocketing- people are hungry for information that's more accessible on the internet than anywhere else. The criminal government tried to shut down the free internet under the ruse of "copyright infringement" with legislation like CISPA, SOPA, & ACTA, but it didn't work as those bills were met by fierce resistance from a fed-up public.

Internet freedom is being shut down a la carte. In order to be a web designer, they'll mandate you have a license. They will take little baby steps until the web is totally censored, and only those who are accepted by the state will be allowed to publish web content.

It is all connected to the war on freedom.

This can only happen if the slaves (the people) allow the corrupt criminal elite to carry out their agenda without saying 'No' or just totally disregarding their implied authority in mass.

I, for one, will never adhere to any more mandates the criminal government puts on us. They're not our masters. They work for us. It's time to show them and STAND UP AND WALK OUT OF THEIR CRIMINAL SYSTEM.

I WILL NOT BE BULLIED INTO SUBMISSION.

Unrelated:
    Are you people aware that the NDAA 2012, Sections 1021 & 1027, gives the criminal federal government the power to indefinitely detain, assassinate, and disappear U.S. citizens on American soil?

Anything the government does now is to wage war on you and create a global system of enslavement! They can do nothing good!

Mentioned
    116 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    PSSST.....it was an April Fools joke........

Quote Originally Posted by etidd View Post
    Well, I didn't take the time to read what a lot of you posted, but here are my thoughts on what we're witnessing here.

FACT: The United States is on its way to becoming the deepest tyranny the planet has ever seen. The United States is also the most oppressive police state in the world, locking up the highest percentage of its citizens, followed by Russia and China.

You think you live in a free country? Think again.

This all ties in to the criminal federal government's war on internet freedom. The "big six" corporations own the print media and television news, which they dictate what the dumbed-down American populace is allowed to know. A great threat to the power structure (symbolized by the pyramid with the illuminated eye at the pinnacle- see my avatar) is the freedom of information that the internet allows. The internet is the last beacon of true democracy, so they will crack down any way they can, especially as the world's economic system is collapsing and awareness of tyranny is skyrocketing- people are hungry for information that's more accessible on the internet than anywhere else. The criminal government tried to shut down the free internet under the ruse of "copyright infringement" with legislation like CISPA, SOPA, & ACTA, but it didn't work as those bills were met by fierce resistance from a fed-up public.

Internet freedom is being shut down a la carte. In order to be a web designer, they'll mandate you have a license. They will take little baby steps until the web is totally censored, and only those who are accepted by the state will be allowed to publish web content.

It is all connected to the war on freedom.

This can only happen if the slaves (the people) allow the corrupt criminal elite to carry out their agenda without saying 'No' or just totally disregarding their implied authority in mass.

I, for one, will never adhere to any more mandates the criminal government puts on us. They're not our masters. They work for us. It's time to show them and STAND UP AND WALK OUT OF THEIR CRIMINAL SYSTEM.

I WILL NOT BE BULLIED INTO SUBMISSION.

Unrelated:
    Are you people aware that the NDAA 2012, Sections 1021 & 1027, gives the criminal federal government the power to indefinitely detain, assassinate, and disappear U.S. citizens on American soil?

Anything the government does now is to wage war on you and create a global system of enslavement! They can do nothing good!