SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hope you are well, fellow 'SitePointers'.

Go to:
    http://home.crosswinds.net

Check out the “CROSSWINDS' PROMISES”

They say:
    “We will NEVER force you to place ads on your personal pages.”

Now go to http://www.crosswinds.net/~demosthenes/ or ANY other site hosted by Crosswinds

You will see a big banner advert popping-up on the site.

That is why I cling to my religion, Islam, and despise free-market capitalism. Capitalism gives the strong the chance to ride rough-shot over the less-powerful without any repercussions.

I have struggled so-much to create my website at Crosswinds, even though their file manager (programming software) is so slow and annoying to use. The ONLY reason was because of Crosswinds Iron-cast promise to never “NEVER force you to place ads on your personal pages.”

Now, like MOST companies I’ve dealt with on the internet, they’ve deceived me.

Crosswinds state that the adverts might be temporary, but I don't believe them for one second.

In my experience, Internet companies are generally fraudulent and you can't and shouldn't trust them for one second.

Don't get too close, I bite! Nicky's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am sorry that you have had a bad experience from your host. However, I disagree that most Internet company are fraudalent. At the end of the day, what do you expect from a free webhost? My recommendation is that you browse our forums and read other user comments to help you decide on another host.

As to capitalism, well, what can I say to someone with money making affiliate links on their page?

Irritability Defined
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nazam,

I too am terribly saddened by Crosswinds' sudden switch to put ads on the site.

Keep in mind however, that all companies must at least make some money to cover the costs of their server. Unless you were a philanthropist you would want to at least get some money back so that the servers would keep running. It's a pity that ads are about the only 'quick' way to get some money back, and I am saddened that Crosswinds had to break their promise, as they did pretty well for the last 2/3 years without imposing ads.

I hope that it's only temporary, but I don't like their chances.

********* Callithumpian silver trophy freakysid's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by nazam

They say:
    “We will NEVER force you to place ads on your personal pages.”

I guess you get what you pay for. Technically, they haven't placed and ad on your personal page so strictly by the letter they have not broken that undertaking.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you are being rather hypocritical:

They say "This popup is here temporarily to keep Crosswinds alive and help finance the much needed improvements to our services."

While you say "Please click my sponsors, it will enable me to afford a domain name."

They put one pop-up to pay for the server while you now have five affiliate ads on you page to pay for a $15 domain name.

Everyone has to make money somehow, except perhaps herrings!

Thread Closed - Before and After.
    www.Gods101.co.uk - Affordable Quality.
    www.scepticism-inc.com - All extremists should be taken out and shot!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And thats the TRUTH.

Well said Peter.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The website that I refer to at Crosswinds is NOT mine. I gave the URL for somebody else's website, so that I didn't appear that I was creating controversy to promote my own website on this forum.

As for trusting a free webhost, the fact that they are free is beside the point. They have attracted thousands of people to host their sites with Crosswinds simply because of their PROMISE not to force adverts on peoples' sites. Now they have broken that PROMISE.

If Crosswinds can't generate enough revenue then that's not my fault. They should have worked out their business model before they started the project and posted promises in bold writing all over their homepage.

As for internet companies "generally" being fraudulent, I can only speak from my experience. And most companies I've dealt have generally deceived me in one way or another. Affiliate programs are the worst of the lot. Books.com, for example, disappeared without paying us our commission; a couple of other companies with affiliate programs we've worked with have clearly fiddled their tracking software, because our colleagues have bought via our links and we haven't received commission via their purchases.

I can't be bothered anymore with these liars on the internet; I'm off to read 'Das Kapital'...

Best wishes,
    NA

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You get what you pay for.

You can always move to VirtualAvenue.net - there is a choice for no popups, free, subdomain, CGI, forwarding e-mail addresses.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi nazam,

I agree that firms and people should abide by their statement. Unfortunately though, most people mistake advertisements and soundbites as reality, and firms take advantage of that. In all likelihood, Crosswinds had a clause somewhere in the contract (very small print & in convoluted language) that stated they could change their policy without notice.

Other choices would be AOL (not the hometown section -- they have ads) and earthlink.net But, with each and others, you can always find something to fault. Such is the nature of life, not only the internet. We all cannot be Siddharthas. The only true way to have everything you want is to set up your own server.

BTW: Das Kapital?? Too dry -- Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand at least has a plot and characters, and The Manifesto is a lot shorter.

Vinny

Where the World Once Stood
    the blades of grass
    cut me still

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by nazam

In my experience, Internet companies are generally fraudulent and you can't and shouldn't trust them for one second.

hehehe, nice signature with your post

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All I can say is that it is strikingly narrow-minded of you to declare Capitalism evil because a free webhost provider broke a dinky little promise.

Communism doesn't work: it's been proven. Evil people will always exist - Capitalism is no exception.

As for fraduelent companies...stick with larger sites like Amazon.com (as opposed to Books.com) - Internet companies are fairly credible...keep in mind that when a new medium emerges which allows for a lot of anonymity, tricksters are bound to take advantage...doesn't mean they're all like that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Mum lied too she told me there was a santa claus but i didnt call her a fraud for it...... You get what you pay for.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whats wrogn with http://www.books.com?

Its just a redirect to barnes and nobel.

SitePoint Co-founder Matt Mickiewicz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BN.com bought Books.com a long time ago...
    Matt Mickiewicz - Co-Founder
    SitePoint.com - Empowering Web Developers Since 1997
    Follow me on Twitter.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Chris,

Das Kapital isn't about communism -- the Communist Manisfesto is; Das Kapital embraces fascism and a lot of drivel.
    Insofar as communism not working -- the world has never seen a true communistic economy (except for certain religious orders -- communion, cummunity, commune); just as it has never seen a true capilistic one (though England during Victorian times and the US in the 20s came close).

Any rate: I think that perhaps this thread should be moved or continued in the General Discussion Forum where we can argue the finer points of Adam Smith, Marx (not Groucho) and Engel's doctrines.

Vinny
    Where the World Once Stood
    the blades of grass
    cut me still

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    True, Communism has never really been implemented in reality.

To many nutters claimed they were Marxists to further their own ends. That's why even Karl Marx once asserted: "I am not a Marxist".

"You have nothing to lose but your chains" guys - abandon those affiliate programs

Irritability Defined
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alright.... This is getting waaaayyyyyyyy off track from the original topic. This thread is moving to the General Forums.

If you wish to continue discussing the merits of free hosts or Crosswinds or similar, please feel free to start a new topic in WH/DM.

Thanks for the co-operation guys.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nazam, welcome to the General Forum.

BTW, your sig doesn't jive with your rant about capitalism. Feel free to share your wealth. Make the check payable to James G. Lewis. (Leave off the "f".)

That is a bummer that they changed their policy. I hope you find a new host. I recommend signing up with one of the many hosts that costs about $10-12 per month. I spend more than that per month on cheeseburgers. Check out Hostmatters.com. That is where I host.
    Jim Lewis
    To BE or Not to BE, or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Barium Enema
    FrappyDoo Forums

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://www.portland.co.uk are a decent free host, bandwidth might be too limited for some though.

will code HTML for food Michel V's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There was a similar case with the french free host that i've been using for a year. Citeweb.net promised to always keep your site ads-free and suddenly they placed a ads-FRAME on top of sites. (they offered 200 Mb though !)
    The trick was to place a little <div> line to avoid it.
    There is a webpage (i blogged it, so i should re-find the url someday) which had a list of javascript bits to put on pages to avoid pop-ups and banners on most free webhosts.
    Surely someone will come with the javascript to avoid ads on crosswinds too. It wouldn't be violating the TOS, since they will NEVER force you: you're allowed to refuse

About cheap hosts, my site is hosted by a french company that deals with an american company whose name i didn't find yet, but their servers are the-web-host.com, so if you see what company it is, go for them, it's cheap, directly on the backbones, and i never experienced downtimes. I pay 600 french francs (approx. US$ 90) per year, for 50mb and a transfer of 3Go per month.

Remember: i will NEVER force you to read this post. (hey i never broke this promise).
    [blogger: zengun] [blogware contributor: wordpress]