SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Formerly known as RockNRollPig Shpigford's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

anybody know how to make something like this?

i've stumbled across different designs like these and i've heard cinema 4d was used (which i have) but have yet to figure out how in the world to do it...anybody know how to do it w/ cinema 4d or any other program?

Example 1 - http://www.digitalfiredesigns.com/testwork/exp1.jpg

Example 2 - http://www.digitalfiredesigns.com/testwork/exp2.jpg

Example 3 - http://www.digitalfiredesigns.com/testwork/exp3.jpg

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The basic underlying method (not the overall image characteristics) for creating the shapes in those images, was done with a 3D program. Any one will suffice. And the function used is called "Matrix Extrude".

In C4D:
    Create a primary shape, like a sphere.
    Make it Editable; by clicking the 2 vases in the toolbar, on the upper left side.
    Make sure you've clicked on the sphere's name in the object manager. Then open the "Structure" menu. Under "Edit Surface" (top of menu) choose "Matrix Extrude".

Just use the default settings to see what the result will be. After that, it'll be up to you to play with the settings to produce an effect you're happy with.

The use of special lighting, and materials, as well as creating multiple shapes, can help to produce most of the raw visuals.
    The rest of the effects in these images look to be done ala post-production, in a paint/photo app such as Photoshop, or PSP.

TIP: keep in mind that you don't have to apply the Matrix function to the entire shape. Try selecting specific polygons and applying it. And try this using different shapes, they all produce their own "look".

Hope that helps.
    Last edited by theGuest; Mar 26, 2003 at 01:24.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    awesome...that helped tons!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    just dont overdo it. extrude techniques are WAY overused in 3d abstract design nowadays. explosion is almost synonymous with 3d abstract now. so try and stay out of the mainstream beliefs that you must extrude and noise all 3d graphics.

i personally prefer 3d archetecture although im not too good at it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good, glad it helped.

And i must echo MG315's views on overstating the effect. It is indeed way overused, and to me, given way too much credit as being "art". What's so "artful" about clicking some buttons?

Aaa well... guess i'm getting old. :O/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i agree that it's overused and shouldn't really be considered "art"....but i really just wanted to learn how to do some of that stuff to add to layers of stuff....it by itself i don't really think is art...but when you combine it with 100 other layers of stuff...you have to admit that it takes a certain skill and eye to be able to do that...just wanted to learn something extra....but i agree w/ you

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    couldn't resist myself commenting, this images are stunning... haven't heard of Cinema 4D ... must be a 3d image rendering software right?
    Peace.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey don't get me wrong... nothing wrong with wanting to learn Josh. Keep at it.
    I really like 2 of those 3 images myself. I too was really speaking of using the Explode function in a somewhat 'raw' form -- like the green spikey image above. THAT'S what i feel could be developed further.

I've actually seen quite a few of that type of 'art' that i've enjoyed. It DOES have a style all it's own. But it's been maxed out as of late.