SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Search engines are really not my area of expertise, so this question may seem very basic.

My boss would like us to add a page to our site where we list weekly promos. (Since we are not an e-commerce site, customers would still have to contact us by phone or e-mail to take advantage.) My question is, since we are trying to use this to bring in new business and since these will change weekly, how can we best use search engines to get people to this page? The brand names and even types of products will change from week to week, so how do we keep our page current with the search engines so that people looking for the product we are offering one week will be able to find our promo page?

Should I just not bother listing this page with a search engine and hope the keywords potential clients use will lead them to our site in general and then they can link to the promo page from there?

I know that there are issues with submitting the same URL too often, but if I were to change the URL slightly every week, would that work? Would I then have to go delete the old one from all the search engines that have it listed? Also, I know the turn-around can be slow for some search engines from the time of submission to inclusion, so is it even worth all the work?

Serial Publisher silver trophy aspen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can't do it.

There just isn't a way to keep your page up to date with the search engines on a weekly basis.

Just submit it as a promo page "Listed Promo's changing weekly" or something like that is the best you can hope to do.

Chris

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In my opinion, the best way to approach this problem are by...

1. search engines - submit a page that is using keywords or phrases that target the general category of your company business. ex., 'electronics store' if you are selling different types and brands of electronic products.

2. intra-advertising (my terminology) - create links or even banners in your existing pages announcing your promotional page. ex., '75% OFF On All Promotional Products - click here'

However, if you or your boss insist on promoting *specific* product in the search engine on a weekly basis then good luck to you.
    The questions are tough. The answer is simple. Find someone who's done it. Learn from all his trials, tribulations and successes.
    -Web Development Tools-

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How about this?

Code:
    <meta name="revisit-after" content="3 days">
    Ken Prescott - 21Studios freelancing design
    Graphic-Forums - The Forums for the Graphic User

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hhmmm yep that is a toughie and there is not really a perfect solution...

Your never gonna be able to get listed in search engines under the particular offers..

You can still attract visitors from engines but just not targeted at the particular products if they change that often..

You can only keep the meta tags the same and target them under words like "specials" and "promtotions".. I.e nothing particular..

What you could do is use a pay per click engine if you have a certain product in for two weeks say. It may take a few days to change listings but you may get some visits from them..

Try Grandmasters idea and see how that works.. I doubt that you will get indexed as often to make full use of it but give it a go...
    Wannabebig Bodybuilding
    Wannabebig Bodybuilding Forums - Wanna be bigger and stronger?
    At Large Nutrition - nutritional supplements

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Grandmaster
    How about this?

Code:
    <meta name="revisit-after" content="3 days">
    The spider may revisit after three days but it is not going to delete the old page from the database. The new page may well very rank lower than the older page using this method. The success of this method depends on the databases of the search engines and their criteria.
    Wayne Luke
    ------------