SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exclamation Greyscale/Color Image

hello all,

i am using psp5 and i'm new to this. i have made one image that i have made into greyscale (landscape 1:1)(Layer1). i would like to place another COLOR image (Image2 1:2)(Layer 1) on top of the greyscale.

the problem is whenever i copy and paste the COLOR image as a new layer on top of the greyscale image, the COLOR image turns to GREYSCALE, too!

your help would be very much appreciated.

gingham dress, army boots... silver trophy redux's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i'm not a PSP person (use photoshop, myself), but you should be able to just change your greyscale image to a colour image again. it will still look b/w, but if you now place a colour image on there it will appear in colour, as it should.
    re·dux (adj.): brought back; returned. used postpositively
    [latin : re-, re- + dux, leader; see duke.]
    WaSP Accessibility Task Force Member
    splintered.co.uk | photographia.co.uk | redux.deviantart.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't have PSP, but in Photoshop, that happens when the grayscale image is in the grayscale mode. What happens if you change its "mode" to RGB or somethin' (might be called something else for ya)? :-)

EDIT: Beat! >:-(

~~Ian

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Instead of making an RGB image greyscale, and then having to convert it back to RGB to edit the way you want to: you could just start out in RGB and then choose "desaturate". Then, the image looks greyscale, but its still in RGB mode.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What Toni suggests works, but I'm not convinced it's the best way. I have found that desaturating still leaves come color artifacts. I have to output black and white prints for a weekly newspaper at work which prints about 10,000 copies. My experience is that converting to greyscale, reconverting to rgb, and then making my brightness/contrast adjustments works well for me. For truly critical work you can adjust individual channels, but I have never found the use for that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE='fdeaton'] I have found that desaturating still leaves come color artifacts.[QUOTE]

Really? Im gonna half to take a closer look next time I try it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks all for you replies,

i used this method:

colors>increase colors>24 bit color depth on the image that is now grayscale. It will NOT change the way the picture looks but will allow more colors to be added(the color picture).
    Then copy/paste the color image on top and it will stay color.

however, i do have yet another question which i forgot to ask in the original post. i have resized the color image. i then copy/paste it into the greyscale.

the problem is: the color images goes back to ORIGINAL size when it is pasted into the greyscale.

i don't really think this is a 'problem', but an oversight on my part as i am new to learning this very interesting program.

any help would be very appreciated.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    shim, I know absolutely nothing about PSP, but in photoshop I work in on color space all the time. I convert rgb to greyscale, convert it back to rgb and use this with the other rgb images. You don't have to have a greyscale image for it to contain no color. Now, this should have no impact on size so long as both images are the same resolution. In Photoshop, bringing a different resolution into a layered fill will affect the size of the image imported. Does this make sense and does it help. If not let us know.