SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Matching screen colors to printer colors

I designed a logo for someone in Adobe Illustrator using Pantone colors. They look great on the screen and when I print out from my printer. They look great on her screen too but when she prints out on her printer she gets a different look. This is not surprising, but her intention is to print out brochures on her printer rather than use a commercial printer.

Is there any way we can bring the screen colors and the printer colors closer so that what she prints out looks more like the colors I am designing in? Any suggestions?

She doesn't have any design software that I know of. We are both working on PCs.

I think what we need to do is match screen colors, RGB. She would need to select colors in Word or Word Perfect and see how those print out on her printer. Then she could give me the colors percentages and I would select the same RCB colors somehow. Anyone have any suggestions?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not sure if this would work... but worth a try.

Have her find out what color profile her printer is set up with, and if possible load that profile into your puter. (first make a back-up copy of your own profile.)

Then try adjusting the colors on screen and printing until you get the desired results.

Or, find out the color profile on your printer, and then have her load it onto her computer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    why not make yourself some extra money and print out the brochures for her on your printer if the colors look good?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    She must profile her printer, but I think you may be fighting a losing battle here! What software (s) are you using? I think cinammon probably has the best suggestion and will, in the long run, be less costly, not to mention frustrating, to your client!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Problem is probably solved

Quote Originally Posted by fdeaton
    She must profile her printer, but I think you may be fighting a losing battle here! What software (s) are you using? I think cinammon probably has the best suggestion and will, in the long run, be less costly, not to mention frustrating, to your client!
    Well, I am chuckling as I write this. She just e-mailed me and informed me that she thinks the problem is that her printer ran out of yellow ink. (Loud sound of head banging against wall.) Sure glad that I don't have to jump through those other hoops to get things to match up but will keep them in mind for future reference.