Hi,

Has anyone got any advice for me for this situation:

With a view to getting a job as a web developer, I have to take a practical timed test in a week's time. I took a web form based test for them and did OK apparently. Well enough for them to continue with me. Basically it's a XHTML, CSS and JavaScript and PHP position. Generally I'm OK in these things. When I need to do something I can get it done pretty well but I'm not super fluent. I'll often fall back onto books, websites, asking questions etc. But I can always get a good job done in the end, just not super fast.

So this test is going to be a practical project I guess, I'll have two and half hours to spend on it, then that's it, they judge what I got done in that time. So I'm a bit worried about that. I can imagine myself being overwhelmed, have to look things up, and basically end up within the time hardly doing anything. Obviously that's a pessimistic view but that's my fear.

So I'm wondering if anyone has any advice about how to manage my time during the test? Obviously I need to read the brief very well several times to start with but at that point I can see me thinking, there's no way I can do all that in the time and getting in a bit of a mess and not behaving in the best way from then on. There's every chance that the test requires too much to be done in two and half hours, and they're just interested in how far I get. One thought I've just had: should I aim to get the whole thing done in whatever manor (in a quick and dirty kind of way, anything that just basically works), or get one bit done well? Maybe the brief/test question will offer guidance on that.

Any thoughts/advice on best way to tackle it please?

I suppose I should set about brushing up on my PHP (including OO?) and JS now…