User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Windows Media on Unix?

Hello,

I just have a quick question. I am currently hosting my site on a unix server. and I want to be able to stream windows media movies. I have been abel to do real video movies. I just was wondering if I can stream windows media format off of a unix server? Also would it be better if i switch to a windows server? Will the quality be better? But will I still be able to keep the real audio/video on windows? thanks for all of your help!!

Dave

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by webcity
    Hello,

I just have a quick question. I am currently hosting my site on a unix server. and I want to be able to stream windows media movies. I have been abel to do real video movies. I just was wondering if I can stream windows media format off of a unix server?
    Apparently so: http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...l/download.asp
    Also would it be better if i switch to a windows server? Will the quality be better?
    Do you mean video quality, page loading quality, or something else? Video quality should remain the same but everything else depends on your host, as well as your choice of server software.
    But will I still be able to keep the real audio/video on windows? thanks for all of your help!!

Dave
    I just checked Real's site, and they do in fact have streaming servers for Windows. You should be fine with both Real and Windows Media whether you're on a *NIX server or a Windows server.

Hope this helps!