SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Hybrid View

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello all sitepoint members. I would like to ask you webmasters how to install the Brainjar.com Image Loader bar located at "http://www.brainjar.com/dhtml/loadbar.html".
    I'm no expert in DHTML and the information provided is not extensive enough for me...somebody please provide me with an extensive yet easy-to-understand tutorial...thanks in advance

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Iron,

What specifically do you have a problem with? Including the *.js files? Setting up the variables? How much experience do you have with javascript?

Vinny
    Where the World Once Stood
    the blades of grass
    cut me still

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, i presume that you've already viewed the script. I can't figure out from the tutorial WAHT to place in my HTML code...

And do i have to modify anything in the two .js files?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Look at http://www.speedpoint.com and let me know if this is the feature you are talking about( it takes a while to load). If it is, I just followed the instructions and it went right in. I am no rocket scientist, but have palyed with scripts. You just have to be very careful following the instructions, and check and double check your work. Have faith, you can do it.
    Win a FREE book that's not an Ebook
    http://www.wii-fm.com

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No. It's the IMAGE Loader Bar, not the navigation drop down menu

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Iron,

Actually, at the time I didn't, but since then I have glanced at the first page. You shouldn't have to change anything in the js files -- just upload them to your site.

The following two lines "include" the data from the two *.js files into your html page. They have to go before any other <script> tags. If you uploaded the files to a subdirectory within your site, make sure the src reflects the proper path (eg, src="funcs/loadbar.js")

<script language="JavaScript" src="loadbar.js"></script>
    <script language="JavaScript" src="dhtmllib.js"></script>

The following line sets up the images you want loaded, just replace the *.gifs with your own image sources.

var images = new Array("img1.gif", "img2.gif", "img3.gif");

From there on in are a mess of variables that you can use to customize your progress bar. If you are uncertain of what the variables do, I would advise changing one at a time. Some of them, though, are self-explanatory, such as:

loadBarWidth = 200;
    loadBarBorderWidth = 1;

The following function is probably called from one of the functions in the loadbar.js file. I presume you would put in it the code that you want executed once the images have finished loading.

function loadBarEnd() {

// start your animations or whatever else you want...
    }

The onload event handler is used to start everything up. The first parameter is the array created above

<body bgcolor="#ffffff" onload="loadBarStart(images, 100, 10);">

Hope this helps. If not, I'll try to explain some more. But can you try to be a little more specific?

BTW: In the year that I've been moderating on a number of boards, this is the first time I've ever bothered to look at and explain brainjar's code -- I must be getting soft

Thanks
    Vinny
    Where the World Once Stood
    the blades of grass
    cut me still