User Tag List

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"pop-up blockers" explain please!

Hi -

I have a page on my site where I have various "click for details"-type links. The link pops up a small box with some extra information that the visitor wanted to see.

Some visitors have been emailing me saying things like, "When I click on those links nothing happens" or "it just reloads the page..." etc. I'm guessing these users may have some sort of pop-up blocker or something??

What's the deal with those blockers I've been hearing AOL and Earthlink are promoting? Do they just stop pop-ups from launching even if the visitor clicks a link? What am I missing? What else can it be? Why would some of my visitors not be able to launch a small pop-up window from clicking on a link?

Thanks.

Josh

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only pop-up blocking functionality I know of that kills all pop-ups - not just unrequested ones - is Opera's (this may have been fixed.)

Ask them what browser they're using, which pop-up blocker (if any) and if they have Javascript turned on.

If you use Ian Lloyd's Perfect Pop-Up technique, you can avoid this problem in the future.
    TuitionFree a free library for the self-taught
    Anode Says... Blogging For Your Pleasure

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Afaik, the Perfect Popup method only differentiates between when a browser is entirely javascript-enabled or (entirely) not.
    (Don't get me wrong, the Perfect Popup method shows some good, solid thinking and well worth implementing.)
    However, it would not 'catch' popup killers per se as javascript is still active but has only a few of its features restricted.

A 'back-up' option would be to throw up an alert message if the popup window fails (read: is blocked).

Code:
    function popUp(url) {
    var newWin = window.open(url);
    if (!newWin) {
    alert('Sorry, but...');
    }
    }
    It may be a good 'belt and braces' idea to create a method that accounts for both scenarios using elements of both the Perfect Popup ideals and the above (!newWin) method.

Of course, you could simply avoid relying on popups to deliver critical content.

---

This is not meant as a fix-all post, just offering my 2 to the proceedings.
    New Plastic Arts: Visual Communication | DesignateOnline

Mate went to NY and all he got me was this lousy signature