User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    It's all Geek to me silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    462 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wc43870n View Post
    on that main homepage, there's an arrow image that appears next to the text and on other pages, there's like a paint brush like rollover where the under line looks like a paintbrush stroke underneath each text with that typewriter font.
    Don't worry, it's all doable.

i have an arrow icon next to it on rollover. (javascript or css?)
    CSS is the way to do there. It's quite straightforward to do CSS rolloevers.

is javascript for rollovers like yesterday's news? or just bad practice nowadays?

Then i got the problem of having a designer who doesn't know if they have the license for the fonts.
    As mentioned, if the font has licensing restrictions, it will be easy to find a web-ready equivalent that looks very similar. There are thousands of options out there.

or has css advanced to a point where we no longer use images as buttons.
    My preference is to use text if possible, but sometimes it's not possible, such as with an arrow or something.

the only time we do that is using a span and styling it's background as that button image?
    There are more options than that.

i'm quite confused.
    You are biting off a big mouthful at once ... and you're not being helped by a designer that doesn't understand the web. O well, not an uncommon scenario.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ralph.m View Post
    Don't worry, it's all doable.

CSS is the way to do there. It's quite straightforward to do CSS rolloevers.

is javascript for rollovers like yesterday's news? or just bad practice nowadays?

As mentioned, if the font has licensing restrictions, it will be easy to find a web-ready equivalent that looks very similar. There are thousands of options out there.

My preference is to use text if possible, but sometimes it's not possible, such as with an arrow or something.

There are more options than that.

You are biting off a big mouthful at once ... and you're not being helped by a designer that doesn't understand the web. O well, not an uncommon scenario.

So i started coding it again and this time i'm using the @font-face tag

http://webpage.pace.edu/wc43870n/des.../homepage.html

Can you take a look and see what i'm doing wrong?

i'm trying to color the text but it's not letting me.

i've tested in ie 9, ie 8 and firefox. and safari.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    seem to have fixed it. but it still has issues. i'm wondering how i can get a nice faded look for the text. because on theirs they have a faded like effect on the name of the restaurant.

i guess for the logo, it really does have to be an image.

h1 with the image as a background probably best choice?

Mentioned
    462 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    i'm wondering how i can get a nice faded look for the text.
    You can use RGBA colors for that, though they don't work in alder IE versions (but that's fine, you just get a solid color there if you give a standard color value first. For example, here is the RGBA value for black set to 70% opacity:

Code:
    element {
      color: rgb(0,0,0);
      color: rgba(0,0,0.0.7);
    }

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ralph.m View Post
    You can use RGBA colors for that, though they don't work in alder IE versions (but that's fine, you just get a solid color there if you give a standard color value first. For example, here is the RGBA value for black set to 70% opacity:

Code:
    element {
      color: rgb(0,0,0);
      color: rgba(0,0,0.0.7);
    }
    When i look at the font for this through multiple browsers, it doesn't quite look the same through each browser.

also the font doesn't seem quite right.

Is there anyway for me to distort the font at certain parts? , like manipulating serifs to make them longer or anything like that out of curiosity?

Mentioned
    462 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Is there anyway for me to distort the font at certain parts? , like manipulating serifs to make them longer or anything like that
    No, this isn't possible at this stage of the web. Hehe, you are thinking too much like a graphic designer. Remember that content is the important thing. As long as it's clear and usable, that's the main thing.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well, i kind of want to be a good graphic designer. too bad i never got trained in it. and then i could fix that psd without waiting for the designer.