SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaack! Fluffykins's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, this is a bit similar to Pete's post from a bit back, but I wanted the spotlight for a bit

I'm writing exercises for a training event i'm doing in a few weeks on Dreamweaver and Fireworks, and how we use them to build sites. It's designed for people with no experience of web design.

I've done two of four exercises so far.

The first is a basic DW one, where they set up a site, create a template, link some pages together and lay out some stuff in a table.

The second is a basic FW one, where they create a header for the page using FW's drawing features and slicing images up.

The last is going to be an advanced FW exercise using image swapping and rollovers to create a navigation bar.

The problem is the third. I want to delve into DW's intermediate and advanced features - but what do I cover?

Help!

Ady
    v-technologies - Freelance Goodness.

Irritability Defined
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmmm.... Frames, images, meta tags?

Then delve into the Timeline features and other DW-related JScript/DHTML features. They're always useful.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Doh! Of course.

I think I was trying to build in things that fitted with the example site, but frames, forms and meta-tags would be a great help.

Cheers!

Ady

Serial Publisher silver trophy aspen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally, if I was teaching a class. The first thing I would do is pass out a piece of paper and make them draw their site, telling them about basic structure and navigational concepts as they went.

It seems to me things like navigational and structure concepts and too often overlooked. Along with other basics of what makes a good webpage (frames only good some instances, no animated gifs, pick a few key colors, don't use a tiled gif as a background, stuff amatuers do etc)

Chris

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Aspen's exactly right.

Thankfully the concepts of designing a 'good site' are covered seperatly in our training event by some of the other staff.

I make a point of giving people advice on what makes a good site. Telling them no animated gifs, don't use frames etc isn't such a good idea. It's their site afterall.

I think i've got the exercises sorted now. I'm giving them some info on creating a simple form and how to lay it out effectivly, info on frames (if they want to use them) and DHTML features too.

Thanks for the help, but keep suggestions coming! I do these things a lot.

Ady

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with the drawing the site... I would also have them make a list of the goals of the site and elements they want to incorporate and any special details or points they intend to get accross.